Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how much range finder do YOU need??

Old 12-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Default how much range finder do YOU need??

I was thinking, if im gona get a range finder then I need to sit down and figure out what I need, so that sparked this post. how much range finder do hunters need.
I see models for 300 yard range 600 800 and some even go to 1000 yards. Im pretty shure Ill never be shooting any thing at 1000 yards (even at the range)but i gues there are target shooters who will use that kind of range finder. just my guess but a 600 sounds good.in my hunting ill still go gun hunting for deer, turkey, squirells heck id shoot at cyotes all day long if they gave me the chance (good practice them cyotes, good small target and you gota hit em good in the vitals plus nearly every one wants them gone!!) I gues going after predators would be where id really use the 600 or 800's.
How much range finder do you use? and what do you hunt/with?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Default RE: how much range finder do YOU need??

I don't have a rangefinder but i'd use up tp 800m. Cause that be very good for elk and mose to see how far they are away from me.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

for bowhunting you should need one over 40, may 50 yards.

I have a Nikon 440 and haven't neede anything greater than that but I haven't ever been Elk or Moose hunting either. Going Elk hunting next year though but don't know if I will drop any money on a new one b/c I prefer bowhunting over gun.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Gut Check

for bowhunting you should need one over 40, may 50 yards.

I have a Nikon 440 and haven't neede anything greater than that but I haven't ever been Elk or Moose hunting either. Going Elk hunting next year though but don't know if I will drop any money on a new one b/c I prefer bowhunting over gun.
thanks,
I didnt think there would be any reall use for a range finder that went more than 50 but I do still gun hunt so maybe a good one that goes a littler further would be good for me.
I was wondering, how do you like that muzzy arrow rest? I have a wisker buskit and have been shooting straight vanes through it with out a problem but I intend on puting helical fletching on a couple arrows and trying that out on my broad heads just to see if there is any in provement.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bushnell yardage pro goes out to 700 yards although I never go that far for hunting I like to look at things and guess ranges that is pretty fun,To tell you the truth i'd get a 1000 yarder when this one goes out.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:57 AM

I do alot of stalking and I just got my first rangefinder. Bushnell 450 in camo for $149 . All I need is accurate readings out to 100 yards for bowhunting so it does the trick. If I had more fundage I'd probally go with a upgraded verion that is waterproof and has an angle compensator.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bushnell Pro is great. All the rest cost more but I don't see how they can be worth the extra money. BTW.....Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought mine years ago when the first came out. I have the Bushnell 400 and I strictly bowhunt. I range things from the tree just for the hell of it many times.

One thing I noticed is that even the 400 has trouble ranging a deer over 300 yards and even more trouble ranging anything smaller under that distance. I'm not sure how well the ranger finders over that distance work as well. Perhaps someone with a longer one can elaborate. I would assume that the longer the distance the range finder is capable of, like the 1000, the more accurate and percise it is in closer distances, say 300 or 400 yards. The 400 will only range very large objects at 400 yards, perhaps the 1000 yarders range 400 effieciently.

Also, my 400 will not range anything under 16 yards but what's the point anyway..lol

So, if possible, get the longest one you can afford so it's accurate to the shorter distances or maximum distances you wish to use them for.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

I was wondering, how do you like that muzzy arrow rest? I have a wisker buskit and have been shooting straight vanes through it with out a problem but I intend on puting helical fletching on a couple arrows and trying that out on my broad heads just to see if there is any in provement.

I love the MZE. I have had it on 4 bows over the past 5-6years. The earlier models only issue was the potential of the arrow holder turning but the new models fixed that. I shoot the Blazers with an offset.

There is an excellent review about the MZE by GregMO. Try it and you won't be disappointed IMO.