Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I fell .......

Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I fell .......

glad your alright just shows you never know when you might take that fall . A lesson learned the hard way
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad ur alright....rattlesnakes sound very interesting[8D]
Old 12-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was in my stand this year, ladder stand..weather was nice, 55 degrees..

at about 10 am. i feel asleep..i woke up at 11am,shot a huge 8 point at noon,sounds like story but all true..

i had my safety harness on, if not, i believe i could have fell out of tree..i tighten harness tight and could not fall off seat..i was facing down when i woke up but still on seat..
Old 12-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

thank god you didnt break anything.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: eightwgt

Guys....

Well I have always preached safety, safety harneses, you name it....but I had a mishap...

I was hanging a stand in a WMA here in Florida to take my 14 year old bowhunting... I had tied on my climbing sticks in a realy brush covered tree - vines, limbs, small branches everywhere - but didnt clear any of it to keep a natural look because it was the ONLY tree around a stnd would hang in- especially 2 stands side by side- but its a great tree for the cover....
Well I had lost (my 'lineman' style belt I use while tying on a stand so I was balanced on the tree step - and for a split instant leaned against what i THOUGHT was the big fork near me (8" diameter branch) but my butt must have hit a lesser dead brach- I adjusted my weight leaned and SNAP- the world went in slow-motion- I went straight back, let go of the hang on, tried to grab anything and went out and down on my back- my son said it looked horrible my landing) Well my left ankle hit first I think, and it hurt bad- thought it was broke, my body sore but I was moving and almost immediately told Colton we were sayin a prayer because God just caught dad... Well Im ok considering, sore yes, but OK... My feet were only about 12 feet up I guess, and considering Im 42 I feel very blessed and lucky.I had always said "Im too careful to fall" and always preach safety harnesses to every friend I have hunting and here I go falling....
It made me realize - I dont care HOW CAREFUL you THINK you are, or how many stands you have hung - it CAN happen to you believe me...

God bless everyone-

Merry Christmas !!!!!!

Please be safe friends !!

PS - Ill tell ya about the rattlesnake at the tree's base later....
Glad to see youre okay,The bible says to "never forswear thyself"I try to practice it anyway.God bless to all and have a great Christmas!!