Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No hunting over Christmas for me

Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Default No hunting over Christmas for me

Well, I was planning on doing some more hunting over Christmas but now I can't. Some guys from work talked me into going snowboarding with them to Snowshoe in WV. Needless to say, this was my first time.

First, I had to learn how to keep my balance, of course, after busting my azz several times. I could get going pretty good and really fast. I would try to slow down and then I would crash. Anyway, I was going pretty fast on one slope, tried to slow down, got backwards coming down the slope somehow, and caught an edge and fell pretty hard on my right wrist. I had to discontinue my snowboarding career from there on out.

I thought it may feel better yesterday morning when I woke up but it was swollen, bruised, and very painful. So I went to the hospital to get x-rays. X-rays came out fine and I just sprained it badly. I have to wear a sling and if it isn't better in a week; I have to get a screw inserted in my wrist.

My season isn't over until Jan. 6th. I will give it a good week to heal and see how it feels. I do want to go bowhunting a few more times before season ends.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Default RE: No hunting over Christmas for me

[/align]I fill for you, lets hope it heals up right and you never knew it happened by next fall.I am always concerned about my well being just befor the hunting season .One small mistake can cost you a season or more.I have a friend fall out of his perment stand this summer and he had to have shoulder surgry right befor the season.Double ouch . It looks like I'll try and fill a doe tag in Illinios right befor newyears.Goodluck to yaa.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:49 AM

Default RE: No hunting over Christmas for me

I have been snowboarding for 15 years now...and have loved every year of it.
Anyway, my first day out I broke my wrist. At first I thought it was sprained, so I kept riding the rest of the day, falling on it continually.
For the next three weeks, I dealt with the pain, thinking it was just a sprain. Then, one day, while opening my locker at school, I pulled up on the lock and heard a loud pop, followed by an intense pain.
Several X-rays later, I found out I had been walking around with a broken wrist since I wrecked snowboarding. The doctor was amazed that I could deal with the pain, and that it WASNT infected, though I dont understand how it could become infected without the fracture being compund.
After the cast was on, I snowboarded all winter. I couldnt break it further, and the doctor said it was kosher to snowboard with the cast..so away I went.
To this day, that wrist still bothers me, mostly (according to the Dr) because I didnt get it taken care of right away.