Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow Hype

Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 PM

Default New Bow Hype

Just got on the Bowtech band wagon and I am just sitting here wondering why? Bought a tribute and I love it, but there was nothing wrong with the bow that I had. It was an older jennings airmasterpwc. The tribute is only 6fps faster but it isn't NEARLY as loud! Now when I shoot my old bow it seems as though it kicks like a mule but my point is this. Ihave never missed a animal because of the bow, only operator eror. I doubt very seriously that I will kill more deer or have better average. Guess it is just human nature to want something new and no doubt todays bows are lightyears ahead of tech. just a few years old but you still must practice and know the capabilities of you and your equipment . I just think that too many folks get caught up in the speed thing but the average man can take an average bow and if he practices like he shouldhe can do better than average man with the most expensive bow in the world if he does not practice. Just my two cents worth. Just got back from my local archery shop and have been listening to a lot of beginners braging about there equipment and what it can do but very few have ever killed an animal with it. Sorry, just don't understand some peoples mindset. OK I am done venting nuff said.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Bow Hype

Look at it this way. You take maybe 10 shots at deer and thousands at a target. Yea they'll both take an animal, but the one you bought will be much more comfortable to shoot during the off season. That's important isn't it?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cody, here's the thing, for me at least. I shoot all year long. Half of the fun of hunting for me is playing with equipement in the off season. I love getting a new bow every so often and becoming a tuning freak in the off season to get me and the bow shooting at its absolute best. Can I do that with an old bow? Sure. But I really like playing with the new technology from year to year. Keeps me sane when I can't hunt.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 AM

Muzzyman I've seen you shoot and there is no amount of tuning in the world that can help you shoot better
Old 12-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you have a point in saying that you do not NEED a new bow. I often think that back in '92, when I bought a Hoyt Superslam Supreme and sold my Bear First Strike, that I would have been better off just getting better arrows for the Bear. That bow had issues, and I'm shooting much better bows today, but I doubt that I would have really missed out on much game, or shot considerably worse 3D scores if I had just kept that bow for the next 15 years. I also had a magnesium riser Darton Viper that I kept around for about 6 years as it (for me) out shot every newer bow I tried to replace it with. Still, trying new or newer bows is fun. You learn a lot about what it takes to make the different ones shoot for you, and also problems that they can cause. There are only 3 bows that I owned that I really regret selling, and only one of them that I have a mind to try to replace when I can find one. Enjoy the Tribute! What else are you gonna spend money on that you can use and enjoy so much?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 AM

I buy bows that are 2 or 3 model years old. Right now I am shooting a 2004 liberty and it shoots great. Next year I will be able to buy an allegiance for $450 if I choose to change bows. I may be shooting slightly slower than the guys with a new bow, but I am tuned in and deadly accurate. That's what counts. I take the money I save and buy tonsof camo. I think I'm saving money that way.....? It's fun too look at the new stuff though.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:20 PM

New bows are like new snowmobiles. A lot of folks want what is the latest and potentially the fastest. Is a 6fps difference in a bow any different than those wanting a 6mph difference in a sled that already goes 120mph?