Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HAS ANYONE HERE USED AND TAKEN A BIRD IN FLIGHT WITH FLU-FLU'S

Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM

Default HAS ANYONE HERE USED AND TAKEN A BIRD IN FLIGHT WITH FLU-FLU'S

HAS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM SHOT A BIRD IN FLIGHT WITH FLU-FLU'S ARROWS POST PICTURES BECAUSE THAT IS HARD TO BELEIVE WITHOUT SEE'ING IT STORY AND PICS????????
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM

Default RE: HAS ANYONE HERE USED AND TAKEN A BIRD IN FLIGHT WITH FLU-FLU'S

Maybe try putting your post in the trditional section, you are more likely to get more answers.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh I know there are those capable of it, I've seen it on television. It's possible. Not that I could even hit one without luck with my compound setup, I've never had the opportunity either. Never intentionally hunted them that way.

I have taken a couple on the ground, ringnecks and grouse, from my stand also when in season.

Never a flyer, that's impressive. I like the Block Target commerical where that traditional shooter shoots the center dot in the air. Kudos.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to try a hunt like that, I trying to gear up for next season to give it a go! I have with my Compound been stalking thru the tall grass and taken 2 Pheasants on the ground and also have taken a Turkey! Nothing in flight, yet! Much respect to those who have!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did get one like this with my compund, but i did not use flu flus. I shoot a arrow in a group of like a thousand and i hit on. I ad it on video but we broke the video camra hunting. My buddy droped it when we went turkey hunting, he droped it in a pound and it got killed.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

It's hard, but not impossible. Like everything else, it's all about practice (and luck)

Things like pheasants and geese would certainly be easier than things like doves and quail.

I have shot quite a few fish out of the air.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

I've never tried; Byron Ferguson shoots quarters out of the air with a broadhead. I believe that if anybody practices, it can be done. Like stated, this is a traditional archery question more so than a compound shooters game.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting with a friend on one of them fake ringneck hunts for some sweet meat. My friend hunts deer with a Black Widow recurve. When we get to the farm I pull out my Rem 870 and he pulls out his Black Widow. I say what are you going to do with that. He says hunt the birds, and I say yea right. I kid you not on the first bird that flushes he puts a flu flu arrow right through the poor ringneck[:-]He shot 3 more that day with his Widow but I shot 10 with my Rem870

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, but it took me a WHOLE LOT of attempts. Way back in my infancy really, mid 70s. I finally resorted to taking some blounts, drilling some holes in them and making myself some big bird heads out of piano wire in a big clover leaf affair about 4 or 5 inches across. I was shooting at passing doves(had a roost behind the house in some low brushy trees)and tweets in the back yard in Georgia for days. I finally got where I hit and knocked a few down. I don't know how many near misses I had and how many just plain awful attempts. I finally decided my best weapon for the venturewas my old recurve. I killed a few and missed bunches. The best method was just using the SWAG method of aiming, ie... not aiming but just doing it by feel and lead.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have done it.

I took a quail on a pheasant and quail hunt.

Funny thing is I missed the pheasant while in flight,but did take a couple running.[:-]

The quail was in a ditch and when I was crossing the ditch,it flew right at me.I pulled the bow and let the arrow fly,purely on instinct.The arrow and quail fell side by side and I was able to reach down andpick both up without taking a step.

The best part was that I had 2 witnesses.