Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Warm weather hunting

Old 12-21-2006, 04:57 AM

Default Warm weather hunting

Hey all, I live in ND and it has been unusually warm here this year. This is my first year bow hunting. I was wondering if there is anything I should be doing to successfully bow hunt deer in warmer weather like this.

My brother tells me that with it being warmer than it should be the deer are not going to move much and that they will more than likely come to food sources during the night.

I hunt a WMA that has corn fields and nice tree cover and a fairly large stream.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 AM

Default RE: Warm weather hunting

this kinda depends on what the temps are. in extreme heat they will move more because they need water that more often. if its in the mid 30's or 40's, they still be moving(at least here anyhow) they MIGHT move slightly less but then isn't that what archery's about. the wait, the anticipation and the score??

you just might have to sit longer, bring out plenty to eat,drink and read to pass the time.

speed

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Yes it has been 30s and 40s, which is high for up here usually this time of year we are hugging 0.

I plan sitting closer to the corn at night and then back closer to the woods in the AM. Some one told me once hunt beds in the AM and food in the PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

As much as I hate not having snow on the ground [:@], these temps are actually very nice for bowhunting. The deer are going to be moving, and you don't have to put many layers on to stay warm. This time of year the deer are hitting the food sources, big time. Since you are hunting a WMA, I'm guessing the deer are nocturnal since the orange army has come and gone. I would focus on key areas in the woods. The deer are going to be out of the corn by daybreak, and wont return until after dark. If you find a good spot in the woods, don't be afraid to sit all day (especially w/ these temps we've been having). I've seen deer moving all day the past couple weeks.

Where at in ND are you from?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:53 AM

thanks for all the good info, I am from the Fargo area