Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Possible New Bow?

Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Possible New Bow?

So ive been bow hunting for two years now but ive been using my dads bow. I like it and all but i want to get my own bow since i plan on doing alot more bow hunting next. Now i have been hearing that single cam bows are better and to go with the Mathews bows cause they are really good and stay accurate longer then compared to double cam bows.Is this true? Cause ive been looking at the new Mathews Drenalin and it looks and sounds good but is there anything that you dont think is very good about the bow.By the way im 18 years old and im 5'10"tall, so im pretty well done growing.Here is the link to the bow.
http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-D...1387.asp#specs
Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM

Default RE: Possible New Bow?

There are alot of great bows on the market by several manufacturers. My nephew shoots a Mathews Switchback and shoots it very well and likes it alot. I shoot a Bowtech Defender, shoot it welland like it alot. Have a buddy that shoots a Hoyt, etc... My Bowtech is a double cam. I have had it a year and a half and it is still great with no adjustments needed. Shoot several and find one that feels great to you in your price range. Like I said, most new bows today are good and likes and dislikes depend on the hunter.

I'm glad you like bowhunting well enough to dive in all the way!! Good luck and let us know what you get!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO- I think you should try out some different bows and pick one that fits you well.
Comfort is going to be more important at this point then how many cams or features a bow has.

Edited to say: Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Yeah, Try out a bunch of diffrent bows
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give the same advice as above.

Wouldn't you hate to break down and buy that Drenalin and then try a buddy's bowjust torealize, you like the way it feels better than your bow?

Try before you buy.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Solocams are nice for not having to worry about timing issues with the cams, but that is easily checked and fixed anyway. It is mainly a personal preference thing. All I can say is that I have had the best luck with Hoyt and Mathews, and that is as important as anything They are all good bows. Of course, so are Reflex and Diamond and they are less expensive.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Try before you buy!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info guys i think ill go to the archery centre and just try a bunch as you guys suggested.Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM

check out archerytalk.com

there are hundreds of awesome used bows for sale fully set up! No sense spending that kind of money.. that is a great bow but by time you get done dressing it up you are well over 1,000

get yourself a nice switchback xt 2006 or a bowtech allegiance setup already..

I am also looking fora new bow and I am considering the black ice by diamond... the bear truth and bowtech's tribute
Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see you found some common sense. I'm not going to bash the Drenalin as I have no experience with it, nor do I plan to. I would also offer this advice.

Do you know exactly what your draw length is (or should be)? I mean down to the 1/8". If you don't, and you don't, then I would not look at any bow like the Mathews, or any such bow that is draw length specific. You get it wrong, and 80% do, you're never going to get the accuracy that either you or the bow is capable of.

You need to look at bows that are adjustable in draw length till you get it figured out someday. There are tons of bows on the market, and a whole lot cheaper too. Remember that the name on the bow or the price has no relation to how well you'll shoot it. I would find a less expensive bow and spend the difference on good, really good arrows and other accessories.