Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experience VS shot selection

Old 12-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Experience VS shot selection

I believe you either have a legitimate shot or you don't,all of which has to do with the position of the animal,your competency at the distance the animal is at,your state of mind,your steadiness etc..There are a lot of variables that go in to the decision to shoot or not.
The benefit of experience is that these considerations become unconscious and through that experience and repetition you go on automatic pilot.You are processing all these things at the same time and hopefully coming to the right conclusion within your abilities.An inexperienced hunter does not have enough encounters to draw from to get to that level.
Through time on stand and deer on the ground that experience comes.I don't believe there is any thing you can do to simulate that.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Not really sure if this has turned into a "experience" debate or not...........(too many pages added since my last post and I just skimmed a couple)

As far as the original topic goes it is crystal clear and proven on this very site year after year that the deer virgins out there end up involved in the vast majority of pooch-screws in the woods...........they don't know what they are doing or even worse they THINK they know everything and are equal to Chuck Adams because they bought the bow they saw on a magazine cover can shoot that 3D target pretty well. These are the same guys that post here about the ones they wounded or missed and they just can't understand how or why it could happen.

Experience is everything.

Would any of you want a brain surgeon doing his first operation on you?? Even if he had read every book out there and watched every TV show ever made on the subject??..........I wouldn't.

Would you trust the life of somone in your family to say a pilot who had never flown before, or a anesthesiologist if they had never put anyone under before??........I doubt it.

If you were interviewing a contractor to build your log home and all else being equal it came down to someone who has built them for decades vs someone who has never even built one............who would you trust??

Now...........like I have already said, those experienced fellas step in it from time to time as well and truthfully it is that boat load of experience that lands them in that very jam more times then not.........experience is a funny thing. It can be good and bad. It can help you stay calm and make rational decisions in the most trying of times.......it can steady your hand and hone your senses and sharpen your focus..........at the same time it can make some feel like they are don't need to worry about basic stuff because they are "past" all that nonsense........then they wake up in the hospital wondering how someone as smart and skilled as they are managed to fall out of a tree.

Experience is weird............but one thing is for sure........there is only one way to get it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

deer virgins out there end up involved in the vast majority of pooch-screws in the woods...........they don't know what they are doing or even worse they THINK they know everything and are equal to Chuck Adams because they bought the bow they saw on a magazine cover can shoot that 3D target pretty well.
I am keeping this one Atlas for next year!!

Well said, I think
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Would any of you want a brain surgeon doing his first operation on you?? Even if he had read every book out there and watched every TV show ever made on the subject??..........I wouldn't.
I just had a conversation with Rob/PA about this the other day. With all due respect....what we do isn't brain surgery (I think I used "rocket Science").

Would you trust the life of somone in your family to say a pilot who had never flown before, or a anesthesiologist if they had never put anyone under before??........I doubt it.
Ditto.

If you were interviewing a contractor to build your log home and all else being equal it came down to someone who has built them for decades vs someone who has never even built one............who would you trust??
Now...........like I have already said, those experienced fellas step in it from time to time as well and truthfully it is that boat load of experience that lands them in that very jam more times then not.........experience is a funny thing. It can be good and bad.
HEY! Common ground!

Experience is weird............but one thing is for sure........there is only one way to get it.
If you're eluding to "time"....I disagree. I'll take that surgeon who's had 1,000 hours of practical internship vs. the 20 yr veteran who's performed 6 procedures. I'll ride with that pilot that has 10,000 hours on the simulator (in all conditions) vs. the guy that's been selling his flights to training and making the once a month hop across 2 states for 20 years.

I'll take the contractor that's built 5 BEAUTIFUL homes and completed them all, flawlessly...and with good reviews vs. the guy that's been building them for 20 years and has been raping customers at every turn.

There is DEFINITELY more than one way to gain experience. I'm not close-minded enough as to not see or admit that. I'm also 42 yrs old. I've gained LIFE experience that helps me discern what's important and what isn't. It's helped me to become a proficient hunter. That's all I ever wanted.

Merry Christmas.

Jeff