Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experience VS shot selection

Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Experience VS shot selection

I've been hunting for 25+ years. Am I experienced? To my friends andmy sonsthat I have taught/am teachingto hunt I am. To the people I learned from, I'm still getting there. It's all relative. I try to learn something everytime I hit the woods, I'm never too old to learn something new. Am I gonna tell someone I am more experienced because I have more hours in the woods than they have, not a chance. I can stilllearn from them.

Patience and discipline in shot selection is not something I had as a newbee, but it isone of the first things I have taught to my sons...go figure. I guess it wasn't a high priority when I was green, because I can't remember my dad or uncles telling me to bepatient.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy who only takes front on or quartering to shots,he claims the others are too easy. He's a championship caliber archer and has not lost a deer in years, is his choice of shot placement ethical?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

I know a guy who only takes front on or quartering to shots,he claims the others are too easy. He's a championship caliber archer and has not lost a deer in years, is his choice of shot placement ethical?
That isn't up to us to decide.

Shot selection, along with ethics, is a personal thing. No one person aside from yourself can tell you what is or is not ethical.

I'm comfortable taking shots at elk and mule deer out to 50 yards. I find this to be ethical as I regularly practice at ranges nearly twice that. You, however, may find it to be unethical.

It all boils down to what the individual thinks.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ws playing devils advocate, I agree it's an individual descision. I got my first deer with a frontal shot and I had luck on my side,it was a desperation shot after an arrow sailed over the deers back,he turned towards me and the next arrow was in his chest,80 per cent luck. I'd never do that shot again especially after screwing up easier shots later.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

This is the part that bothers me. Nothing is a given in bowhunting. The absolute best shot possible is what we all hope for, none of them are too easy.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM

This statement also bothers me, it seems this person is just trying to brag on himself. I think we owe it to the game we hunt to take the absolute best and deadly shot we can.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I,agree. I'll personally not take that shot again, however remember he hasn't lost a deer in years.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, David...you've got me pegged...
Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kenman

Patience and discipline in shot selection is not something I had as a newbee, but it isone of the first things I have taught to my sons...go figure. I guess it wasn't a high priority when I was green

That right there is expirence!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell no!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Experience VS shot selection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.