Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experience VS shot selection

Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Experience VS shot selection

I didn't read anything past Germs first response.

GOOD ANSWER and my sintiments exactly.

I have taken a couple shots that I would get flamed for on here from trying to explain the situation but I am the one there and I have the experience to know whether or not my abilities and my equipment are up to the task.

I shot a deer one time where the kill was completely covered by brush(I could still see the kill zone,it was just covered).[]But knowing the ARC of my arrow at specific distances,I was able to lay the pin where it belongs and I watched my arrow fly right over the brush and go right through the heart and lungs.Deer expired in 20 yards. This was all after stopping the deer TWICE.Absolutely no time to think,all reaction.

I don't think an inexperienced hunter would/shouldtake this shot.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is good guys, lots of great points, I'll have more time tomorrow to give my own opinions to my question.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I practice with friends, we will pull back and not shoot until the other guy says that the shot is there. It is interesting to see how your efficiency drops with each passing second past your normal holding time. This has come in handy before with a bull that hangs up!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do some weird practice.I sometimes will stand on 1 leg at 30 yards and shoot.This helps you learn how to use your upper body for balance.

I will practice shooting with my body facing away from the target and twisting all the way around.This is also at 30 yards.

Try either of these with a draw length that is too long and you will have a bad day.

This is what gives hunters experience.They know from the field what might present itself while in the field.

Like Len shooting a right handed bow left handed and wearing a release on both hands.

Not exactly what many would even consider.Definately not something for the inexperienced.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also like to swap bows with my hunting companions at the range and find out how the other guys equipment shoots for me. It came in handy once on a back country elk hunt. The guys bow was out of comission, and he knew where mine shot and ended up killing his elk with my bow on that trip. Otherwise hunting would have been out of the question.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I have Been bowhunting biggame 50 years (this year) I think I know where I should put the arrow (anatomy) & I "DO" know how my equipt. works. My decision is based on distance for me-I "know" I can spot out through 50 yards on a target but when I am in the field I keep them under 30 yards 99% of the time. Yes, the position of my quarry, but I am pretty patient & wait for the right shot. Yes, I have passed on some pretty good animals "REAL" close just becausethey did not present the right position.
Win some, loose some. I have let some real trophies pass for several reasons-wrong angle, a little to much brush or just a little to far. Each situation is different but after this many years-I have set my own limits.
The other 1% 2 Elk at 35 yds. a Buffalo at 41 yards & a dandy Buck at 35 yards. Deer, Bears, Hogs, Caribou, Rams & a few others-all under 30 yards. I have been fortunate in blood trails too-pretty short....Good Luck. Common sence is the best guide in the field...I have 34 Biggame animals with recurve & wood arrows &I guess nearly 150 with compound.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ahunter55

Common since is gained through experience.

Good post.

Oh yeah,I did go back and read all the post.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I catch a lot of flack......lots of times hidden within other posts.....for being a "novice" hunter. If I've heard the "he's only been hunting a year" phrase thrown around once.....I've heard it 100 times.

What makes a hunter "experienced"? I've been 76 days in the field in my 1+ yrs hunting whitetails....with my previous hunting experience notwithstanding. I saw over 340 animals from stand THIS YEAR......and my "encounters" far outnumber people I know who have been hunting for years. I harvested 5 whitetail deer with my bow THIS SEASON.....and I'd match that with most.

I have 3 outdoor targets that my son and I utilizefor practice. I've read more books and magazines than anyone I know about this passion. I watch everyshow my wife will let me get away with. I go to the hunting shows that involve whitetails. I practice at the indoor range when the guys are down there. I shoot the 3D indoor tournaments Greg puts on all Spring. I have a ladder stand at my home that we practice out of all year long on our 3D targes.

Am I experienced? Do I have as much experience as the guy who hunts 10x a year for8 yrs and has 100 encounters.....harvesting 5 animals? What's the standard? Am I allowed the lattitude an "Experienced" would be? I know my shots that I regret will come fewer and further between. I remember each one. I also remember times when I didn't shoot......and I KNOW others would.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Our knowledge as experienced bowhunters has been gained as much by failures, as the times we have succeeded.In fact our experiences probably make us less likely to take a shot.

As an inexperienced hunter we do not tend to not see the limb or branch.In our minds eye we seethe animal and look for the shot.

As we gain experience we tend to look for what can go wrong.

We may be more aware of what's going to happen, such as a tail-wag prior to movement or a well timed grunt to get the angle we need. This may allow us to take a better shot. But it will also give us the insight, to not touch that release if the shot does not present itself.

Can Ishoot throughthat hole in the brush that's pie plate sized at 30 yards. Yes, I know I can my time on the range dictates that I will succeed 98 times out of 100.However in a hunting situation is 98% good enough to release that arrow, that 2% of doubt will probably keep the experience guy from shooting.

Expirience is a great teacher and it continues for each of us. The guy that's shot 20 basket size bucks..will his thought process go haywire when that 150 class animal steps out in a so-so position? He is a great shot at the range, but now.. how is his breathing and heart-rate what factors are changing his normal abilities? Only through being in these situations will one know how to react. Can you let down, knowing that today, you can't make the accurate shot needed for a quick kill? Experience teaches us that being put in this situation is the hunt...the animal on the ground is the kill.
That's why we are called hunters and not killers.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff no offence ok, but I think expirience onlt comes with time. You hunted your butt off this year and had a good year....kudos for that. The back up quarterback that gets thrown in the Super Bowl cause the starter is hurt and wins the game....is he expirenced? No he is trained big difference. Like posted before expirence isnt the cure all either, I have read and know of many archers that have made poor decisions recently. Im sorry 1 year of hunting doen not make a seasoned hunter JMO.

Quick Reply: Experience VS shot selection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.