Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experience VS shot selection

Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Experience VS shot selection

Germ it was a question I answered it, I dont know what you are getting at.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Germ it was a question I answered it, I dont know what you are getting at.
was not met for you sorry, I ment Atlas
Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

O-tay
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

TJ
I am baking cookies for my daughters party , so I am not giving 100% focus

Len
Shot selection is the best shot you've got under the circumstances. The question I ask myself in a split second, based on my experience, is whether or not the percentages are high enough for me to pull the trigger. The ethics of the shot is something that only you can determine and something that you mayhave to live with the rest of your life.
I think this sums it up, well put
Old 12-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me the definition of an ethical shot is:

The soft route to the boiler room, that I know I can hit. If there is any doubt that it can be done, I don't take the shot.

This confidenceCAN increase with time. It is not experience alone though that will increase this confidence. I know some seasoned hunters who still choke at the moment, and some beginners who will slam it home every time.

It all boils down to the individual, and his own personal capabilities and knowledge of what he or she is up against.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Atlas were I have the issue who decsides what is good or bad?
There is certainly plenty of grey area.........without complicating the thread beyond use I would say that hard quartering to, straight down, neck, and head on are pretty universally called "bad" (meaning high % for bad outcome)............almost forgot the ever popular way too far shot where a deer's rack suddenly doubles the hunter's effective range

Atlas made a terrific shot this year by his descrption, one I would not even consider to take. Does that make it a bad shot? I think it's not my place to judge anyone's shot as good or bad. I have my defination and Atlas has his.
That's fair...............and a good point. I don't view the shot I took and made as a "bad" shot because I had a broadside look at the vitals.........I see the shot I made as a difficult one. I guess the difference in my mind is that if the shot is made it is a high % quick kill........similar to your sneaking an arrow through a 4" hole. If broadside vitals are within your capabilities then I see it as a "good" shot.

This is the quicksand grey area I tried to avoid earlier.

One point not covered is how equipment these days factors into people's belief in what they can or can't do from the treetops. My Summit had as much to do with my deer kill this year as anything else...........if I was in a little portable or something that deer walks. Fast bows, big sharp heads, sturdy stands and good camo all lead to increased confidence (right or wrong).

Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say we agree, must be the season Atlas.

Good Post
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

A hunter should practice the way he hunts. Full hunting gear/clothing, treestand shooting if he/she uses one, bending and twisting during the shot, and something I do to add confidence - rapid shooting. Too many stand on level ground two weeks before the season starts, in short sleeve shirts, and shoot at paper.
It boggles my mind that this is not part of every hunter's routine.

IMO this is as important if not more.......then anything else.

Nice to see someone else does the rapid shooting thing too That is an eye opener for people who have never done it..........again, not really sure why because as we all know deer NEVER surprise you and appear out of nowhere giving you only 2-3 seconds to make and execute about a 10 step process under stressful conditions.

That doesn't happen much............they all come out and stand broadside right at 20 yards just like that Delta Backyard Buck you have at home
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Good Post

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Good Post

Merry Christmas.
You too and a happy new year

Quick Reply: Experience VS shot selection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.