Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting a new area...

Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Default hunting a new area...

quick question fellas. I usually hunt a state park that has 3 seperate hunting areas, within a mile or so of each other. I have been hunting one area and I have finally found where the deer come and go and all that,but I called today to registerand they said that area is closed but another area in the park is open. So, how do you guys go about hunting a brand new area, especially a morning hunt when its still to dark to see anything. I know there are alot of deer around thid area, so should i just pick a random spot, sit and wait til light and then move on from there depending on the situation, terrain etc? Should I try to find somewhere that looks good in the dark? lol...what do you guys do if you are hunting a brand new area and itsa morning hunt and you are not surewhere to start. thanks alot
Old 12-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting a new area...

Shoulda scouted more than one area. Several years ago I had to start hunting public land and they only gave the weekend prior to the opener for people to scout. I had to find a place where others had been hunting for years. I didn't want to just jump in someones "spot" so I took some areas that didn't have much sign, and the following year, I had made friends and was able to hunt the prime spots.

Just go and find a spot where others aren't at. Be nice to others and make friends. ask them "where they are so you won't hunt at the same place". By the next year if you are friends with them they will "let" you in their spots.