Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Deer Beds?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Hunting Deer Beds?

Thanks for all the hits guys! That is the best part of the Bow hunting forum, good questions can land you lots of replies! I am checking this as I am getting ready to go into to work, but will try and post a aerial pic in the morning so you can see what I am talking about. Right now I just don't have time. Thanks again, and see ya all in the morning.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you can get in and out bedding areas are great spots, I have taken most mature bucks in bedding areas. Once you bugger it up it is all over for mature deer, unless a hot doe comes by.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Site Buck Guru

Crowding a bedding area is one of my favorite tactics. It's like playing chess...... move real slow. Depending on visability, start back about 150-200 yards and spy on them awhile. When you think you can move without being detected, do so. Look for a pattern or some sign to make a set up. Be careful because if he (they) detects you, it's game over....checkmate!

For the rest of the season at that spot, for him, for sure.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 AM

Well here is the pic I was talking about. You can see by the area that it is small. The entire place is only 35 acres, and the bedding area is circled in gray. As you can see there is a gravel road going back there so I can walk in with out much noise. The main problem is there is not much for trees, the few decent size one's that are there are not in good spots. right by whereI wrote 150 yards there is a small old metal building, and a kind of clear spot maybe for a blind. But after that it is all real thick stuff that you cant get through, and where it is not thick, its water. I want to hunt close by, but am afraid I will screw it up. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for posting that, GregH. I worked my way into my buck's bedding area 15-30 yds at a time over a period of 3 months. When I started....I didn't know what I was doing....but by late season....I knew wher ehis home was.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a good still hunting/stalking book. Wayne J. Fears is pretty good, so if you don’t have somewhere to start, give him a try. Read it and know it before going out.
Have a few plans on how to get in there. Wind is the biggest factor obviously. You’ll also want to try to keep the sun out of your face. And lastly, I would strongly recommend performing your still hunt on a damp/wet day. If you take your time, you should be able to get right up in there. The problem is you’ll be on the ground and getting a shot with a bow will be tough.
If you know there is a good buck in there and you’re set on taking him, I’d bring a shotgun with slugs, but that’s just me (hey I must be in the wrong forum, sorry). Up close and personal – murder…
After you shoot him, you can run up and grab his antlers and show him who did this to him before he expires! Pretty cool starring into the eyes as they go cloudy…
Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put on enigma scent loc, lay down in the bed and wait. He'll never see you.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: No Mercy

Try to stay as far away as you can
?????
Old 12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Late in the season I pull out all stops. For the first couple months I stay out of these places. I'm like Greg. I'd rather start too far away than blow it the first time. I find a likely place and hunt.... and watch... and move. I rarely hunt the same tree twice. After two or three times in an area you should have it pretty well figured out. THis area you're talking about is just small. I'd find the trails in and out and hunt them. It can't be that difficult. Where's the food, they're coming here... some where in between. If you go into this small little spot of yours and bust them, it's done for the year more than likely at this point. Save that tactic for the last week of the season or something.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you dress in your best suite and tie, he will never suspect that you are a hunter.
ORIGINAL: isatarak

Put on enigma scent loc, lay down in the bed and wait. He'll never see you.

Quick Reply: Hunting Deer Beds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.