Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me be a good uncle Updated

Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help me be a good uncle Updated

Ok here is the deal. I told my 13 YOnephew I would take him out this evening for a chance at his first kill. We planned on going hog hunting. I can't let him deer hunt on my lease unless we pay for another spot. Hogs are not a problem pay wise. The land owner wants dead hogs. Anyway, my sister in law told my nephew 3 times yesterday to get packed up for the trip. ( The visit started yesterday). each time he was told he thought there were more important things to do, like talk non stop to his girlfriend. Well,he finally packed up at the last minute and forgot his hunting gear.
Here is where I have a decision to make. Teach him a lesson in responsibility and discipline or put what I can together and take him anyway? What do you guys think I should do? I'm leaning towards leaving him here while I go. His mother told him three times to get ready and that is the part that really sticks in my craw. We will have many more opportunities to hunt. This is a great opportunity at a lesson in life. I value many of ya'lls opinions and want to see what you would do.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Help me be a good uncle

At 13 talking to your girlfriend seems really important. Taking a child which he is, is very important. I would rather see him hunting with you than out on the streets. The lessons he can learn while out hunting could possibly be more important than the lesson he learns by getting left at home. The time you will spend with him, gives you the opportunity tobe a positive influence in his life. Maybe don't think of it as his first kill but as quality time. He will be able to think of alot of stuff to get into sitting at home. This is just my opinion. Let us know what you do.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I vote on the life lesson. Kids today don't get it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

This would not be his first trip out with me. He has gone with me many times before. And I know it will not be his last chance.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Since it is not his first time leaving him home may help. I think it will only help if he really enjoys hunting and he will be devastated by not going. Then I think he will learn a lesson. But I would not deny anyone there first hunting experience.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Okay. We havea 14 year old nephew and we take him hunting often. If I were in your shoes with my nephew who lives only 3 blocks away, I'd run him by and have him get his gear. My nephew LOVES to hunt with us. His dad takes him too so he has lots of opportunity to hunt. He has forgotten gear before, and I know it has been because he has had other things he was more interested in doing at the time (girls the least of it all). The thing is, kids who hunt with family will be far less likely to get into trouble with their friends. They learn the "responsibility" on a far larger scale. Teach him the "responsibility" lesson in respect for ethical hunting, animals, and other people. Let his mom deal with the little stuff. You have a rule on your lease, make sure he understands it and hunts what he is allowed to hunt. I wouldn't let him get away with leaving his hunting gear behind everytime and I would make sure he understood that it is a pain to have to mess with it when he is old enough to get his stuff together. The experience he'll have with you is the important part though and the fun part. Just let it go and enjoy the hunt and the bonding. You really don't want to push him the wrong way and make him wish he didn't want to go with you to hunt at all. Oh, and I have kids (younger, but still). I will and do expect them to get there stuff together, but they are kids and will continue to learn that lesson over the course of their lives. Eventually, life will teach them the lesson in a very meaningful way.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will indeed disappoint him quite a bit. Me too! I worked hard this week getting a spot baited for hogs with some corn and Koolaide. I was really looking forward to it and spoke with him several times during the week. I think we'll have to try again another time.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

i would take him because i am a year older than him and if my uncle did that i would be pretty mad. Whatever choice you make just dont make him not like you.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd learn him a lesson... but i can find reasons for both decisions.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I agree that kids need to learn valuable lessons, but is this important enough for the fight. I mean if this is par for the course with this kid, and he really NEEDS to have the point driven home fine. However, think about the true effects of your actions. Are you going to drive a wedge between you by doing this or are you the man in his life that needs to teach him this lesson? Think about your relationship with him...maybe the person you need to ask is your sister.

Quick Reply: Help me be a good uncle Updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.