Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA. second season any tips ??

Old 12-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Default PA. second season any tips ??

I never hunted second season before !
Do you think they will start settleing down now after rifle season? and feed earlier & move around more .
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA. second season any tips ??

It's back to the food sources and hunting funnels and transition zones. The deer are going to move back to cover early and come out late. That's why the funnels and the transitions zones are important. You need to be were the deer are when it's legal shooting hours.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 AM

I love this weather were having for 2nd season ! thats why i never went before ! im like a little girl when it's cold ![&o]
Old 12-17-2006, 11:52 AM

Rob is correct. But I would suggest getting as close to the bedding areas as possible without being detected. You may need to leave much earlier to get to your stand and move extremely quiet through the woods. Like Rob said, they will be moving late and you need to be as close to them as possible when they do decide to move.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 PM

thanks both of you ! I seen a 10 point yesterday @ 11:am in a guys back yard ! they can't be that hungry already !
Old 12-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find what they are eating.

I notice that the deer seem to move earlier in the evening as the cold and snow come. I have a backyard feederand I notice a lot of activity before snow storms.

If you found a place where there were lots of red oak acorns, this would be a place to check out. Deer prefer the sweeter white oaks which get eaten up quickly. I've noticed that deer don't really go after red oaks until about now. This has been my experience.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best bet is to slip in as close as possible to the bedding areas. If it gets cold, look for bedding areas on the south facing slopes and don't discount the midday hours. You're in Greensburg so if you hunt area 2B, try to find those thick, out of the way hiding spots and be near them especially Dec 26 31 and Jan 1. There are plenty of gun hunters who go out those days and put on drives trying to fill a doe tag. If you can get near an escape route, you can get some great action on those days. remember to wear your orange in 2B. You might run into some brown and down types in some spots.