Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The good news and the bad news

Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The good news and the bad news

Sounded like my season. I was always in the wrong stand. I was bouncing between two depending on wind and instinct. I was in the wrong stand when I killed my buck, he came out directly under my other stand, I called him 200 yards....did you not have a call or didn't use it?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Mobow said had you been in the original stand you very likely wouldn't have seen him.He doesn't know your in there you know he is in there,if you have the time considering your other responsibilities,pay him another visit or two.
If you think you have to hunt a wrong wind to get a crack at him,you don't have much to lose at this point in the season.Get as high as you can,as clean as you possibly can,see if you can lure him upwind of your stand by getting some estrous lure or a tarsal gland to his nose upwind of you before he gets to you.
There are a number ofpotential solutions to getting a crack at this animal.
Good luck NYBH,I hope you put him on the ground!
It was a perfect morning to be out this morning and it was killing me not be out there.My family actually wants me to spend some time with them,they are so selfish
Old 12-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rob- I didn't have a call. I've adopted a passive approach to late season archery. Looking back now with it being my last hunt, a roll over or two with the can wouldn't have hurt anything[8D][:-].

It was a perfect morning to be out this morning and it was killing me not be out there.My family actually wants me to spend some time with them,they are so selfish
LOL . Yep I'm in the same boat. The nerve of them![8D]
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM

The 2 times I saw decent bucks this fall were BOTH days I forgot my grunt tube at home...I know what you mean about bad luck......I think some one is trying to tell me something, I just don't know what yet. I mean, come on.....that's more than coincidence.....I wanted to punch myself....Twice.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM

feel lucky you dont have to work on a sunday... good news for me is I am OFF for monday and tuesday.. Hopefully I will be able to put my muzzleloader to good use
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 AM

I had the same thing happen to me twice this season. I know your pain.[]
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry NY, at least you got to see him and know one might be there next year.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Site Buck Guru

NYBowhunter,
From what I've read, it sounds like you've had a great season. You've seen a lot of things. I'm sitting where you are except I can go until Jan. 11th. This is the best season I've ever had. Many encounters with deer. Here's one from this morning. This little 6 pt. bedded 22 yards from me. I finally freaked it out with camera noise. It still never knew what that noise was. Then I watched it do a giant belly flop into the creek!

Old 12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep I'll be frying up my tag with some onions and peppers, but I've had a great season. I've seen a lot of big bucks and had a couple close encounters (1 REAL close). Would have liked to put one of them on the ground, but oh well. They'll be a year older next year. I learned an awful lot this year about mature bucks and the land I hunt. I feel like I've edumacated myself more this year than any other.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

So your not going to be in that area the 18th and 19th?

If you see a car parked there don't worry I'm just picking some late season berries.

Quick Reply: The good news and the bad news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.