Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those who elk hunt

Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default For those who elk hunt

I am dreaming of going on an elk hunt. I was just wondering to those out there have hunted, what do I need to do to make this become a reality.
What kind of money would I have to have, would it be wise to try to find public hunting grounds, or just find some type of service? I wouldn't have too great of an idea of what I am doing by myself up on a mountain. I have only hunted whitetails in the same are for 10 years. I have never gotten out of Minnesota.
Would it be better to use a gun for the first year or two, or go out with the bow and work for it. I am starting to like the idea of bow hunting way more than gun hunting just because with a rifle it doesn't seem to be too much of a challenge for the most part. Also, what state should I look into the most.
Thanks for any input guys/gals.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Default RE: For those who elk hunt

We went last year on our 1st elk hunt and we are going again this coming year. Watch videos on how to hunt them and calling techniques. I would bowhunt as a bow tag can be bought over the counter in CO where we are hunting again. Guides can demand as much as $4000 per hunter and on up. I know many people that have hired guides and never even seen an elk. We saw quite a few elk including several 6X6's and one 7X7 but we just couldn't drag them away from their cows. Icalled a small 4 pt in at 40 yds. I had shots at cows that were 20 yds from me but I was after a bull. Archery tags in CO for non-resident are just under $500 per hunter. We hunted public land near the Durango/Pagosa Springsarea. The area has a lot of elk and a lot of federal public land. Speaking about the $500 price tag for a non-resident; why does it cost a nonresident that much money to hunt FEDERAL PUBLIC LAND? The last I knew, I pay Federal taxes so I am not a nonresident on Federal land; CORRECT?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man,you are truely living up to your handle H.C.H. Ive never been elk hunting,and also plan to next year.I hear an outfitter will charge 1000. per man per wk.to pack you in and out.Whell, how else are you going to get all that meat off the mountain before it spoils in aug.Im watching a few bow elk hunts and they make it look easy.As with bow deer,alot of guys make it harder than it realy is i think.I think the hardest part about bow deer is carrying a bow,a climber on my back and dragging a 180# deer all at the same time.LOL
Old 12-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think killing an elk with a rifle is a slam dunk, then you're sadly mistaken. The average here in CO. is some where around 20% of rifle hunters get an elk! Getting an elk is work, no matter the choice of weapon you choose.
If you have no one to go with, and have no idea how to hunt them, where to hunt them, how to get them off the mountain, then I'd suggest an outfitter. Not cheap, but you'll learn alot, BUT still no gaurantee off success!
Do alot of research. I love the aspect of bugling elk that comes with bow hunting. You rarely run into crowds during archery season. The weather is more predicatable in Sept. If you love to bow hunt, then try to find a group of bowhunters that have been several times, and try to get in with them and let them show you the ropes. It's a blast, and I hope you get the chance to experience elk hunting.
Colorado has the most elk, and probably the easiest tags to aquire. Still some over the counter tags, and there are areas that have good hunting without preference points.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

We went last year on our 1st elk hunt and we are going again this coming year. Watch videos on how to hunt them and calling techniques. I would bowhunt as a bow tag can be bought over the counter in CO where we are hunting again. Guides can demand as much as $4000 per hunter and on up. I know many people that have hired guides and never even seen an elk. We saw quite a few elk including several 6X6's and one 7X7 but we just couldn't drag them away from their cows. Icalled a small 4 pt in at 40 yds. I had shots at cows that were 20 yds from me but I was after a bull. Archery tags in CO for non-resident are just under $500 per hunter. We hunted public land near the Durango/Pagosa Springsarea. The area has a lot of elk and a lot of federal public land. Speaking about the $500 price tag for a non-resident; why does it cost a nonresident that much money to hunt FEDERAL PUBLIC LAND? The last I knew, I pay Federal taxes so I am not a nonresident on Federal land; CORRECT?
What he said. Seriously though, watch videos, read books, know your animal,research your chosen area, and get some friends to go. BOWHUNT of course. It is much easier to purchase a tag this way. Whatever you choose, hunting elk is challenging. I believe the success rate is 23% for hunters of all types in CO. We went just the two of us self-guided and saw some amazing animals. Talk with the local DNR or wildlife center before you go out, they are very helpful in choosing an public area and giving you advice. If you are uncomfortable going out self-guided, use a guide there is nothing wrong with that; I am sure they would help you learn a lot. Prices seem to range from about $3500-$6500 depending on the service. If you go self-guided; depending on what equipment you already own I would say around $2000 per person.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'am going in September for my first archery elk hunt. I have shot 6 elk all with guns over the years. I have guided elk hunters in colorado,New Mexico and Montana. There is no slam dunk on elk. You can have a great time doing it either way. If you are looking at a DIY hunt I can do it for 1200.00 in colorado non res.If you hire a guide to drop you in a camp add another 1200.00 for him. A fully guided hunt Total cost would be about 4000.00 That is with everything transportation, tags and guide fees.
Study elk vids, practice calling, and get into shape a lot of hiking.I went to the local zoo and practiced calling (I got kicked out) but I got the Bull pretty mad.

You have plenty of time to make this happen for next year. If you Archery hunt most of the state of CO is over the counter. If you rifle hunt The first season is a draw hunt and the 3 other elk seasons are over the counter bull tags for most of the state. CO is the easiest state to get a tag. If you are serious e-mail I can get you in the right direction.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id immagine that if you treat it like new whitetail territory and give yourself a week to scout before you go hunting,should be a good time.Can you use a climber on elk? the reasion i ask is because all the vidios i see,the shooter is on the ground.Must be a reasion.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Like HCH and Hoytgirl, I went on a DIY hunt in Colorado two years ago. I went with 2 buddies here from Illinois and we split the gas. Including tag, camping equipment(new and from garage sales) gas, food, and other equipment it cost me only around $1,000-$1,100. I wasn't successful as for killing any elk but it was a great trip as far as I was concerned.........had a great time. I plan on doing it again either this year or next most likely, but will definitely hunt in a different area. If you have the extra money you might even apply for a bear tag(depending on bear population and success ratio in your chosen area) which is 1/2 the price of an either sex elk tag.........I could have easily scored on a beautiful bear while scouting at 15 yards.

If you DIY, prepare to do some camping away from your main camp for better chances of success I am told............and I believe it. Next trip that is what I am doing, some overniters away from main camp so I can get farther away. Spending 1/2 of your day traveling back and forth from camp is not good.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you use a climber on elk?
You could if you had a active wallow to sit over, or if the weather is hot and dry and there isn't much water in the area, you could sit over a water hole. BUT most archers have success by being mobile to locate the elk and then calling them to you!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

I wasn't trying to say that it's a given that you are going to get an elk if you go out with rifle. So sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I was just saying with the bow if you see one a couple hundred yards away you would have a tougher time getting at him in most cases.
I have read the NAHC book on elk hunting. That is what really sparked my interest, but I still have a very long way to go before I would feel comfortable going out and having the confidence in knowing what I am doing up there. Me and my girlfriend are both getting a membership to a gym tomorrow and I plan on going on a lot of hiking/camping trips with her this year. I am hoping to have the funds by next fall, if not the fall after. I also was had the understanding that the bow season is usually open around the peak of the rut for Elk? I could be mistaken, but I was thinking maybe that would better the chances a little bit.
Thanks for all the help, and does anybody have recomendations on what some good books are?

Quick Reply: For those who elk hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.