Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best state/place to hunt public land

Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best state/place to hunt public land

This might now be what you are looking for, but Minnesota (nice and close to you) has the annual camp ripley archery hunt in late october. $8 to apply, if you get in your are next to guaranteed to at least see some nice bucks. it's pretty crazy though, hunters everywhere. that's our best public hunting option (that I know of anyway). there's been plenty of threads about ripley on this board over the years. some guys that post here have shot some monsters out there. i shot my biggest archery buck out there.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Western Iowa is loaded with public ground that hardly anyone hunts with a bow. Except for our local outfitter that sells hunts out of it (Beotch she is). Anyway there is alot of acres here in western Iowa and it is prime stuff.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:55 AM

People may think I am crazy, but West Virginia. There is a 4 county area that is bow hunting only and been that way for 20 or so years. That take some nice bucks from that area.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know about some northern parts of Wi. My area,central,gets mowed down durring gun seasion.The deer are alwayse shifting from one part of the country to the next,year to year.The land is there though.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SRBowman

Motown I have always been intrested in hunting Kansas. Where about in Kansas are you? I have a real good friend who is a firefighter in witchita and says he has been seeing some good deer around those parts!
I'm up in the north east corner. Any information I can help you with just let me know. Lots of public ground with little pressure. Theres not a big buck around every corner like alot of people think. You can find them but you have to work at it.