Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i have a question on climbing stands

Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 PM

Default i have a question on climbing stands

im about to buy a new climbing stand for bow hunting i am using a steel back stand now have never used the cable back climbers yet in my opion i think they are unsafe the rubber off the cable came off my buddies summit an im scared of the cable snapping after a year or so of use now i need some real thoughts on this i dont wanna kill my self or anything i never climb with a harness because last time i did the stand kicked out and the harness i was using one of the straps snaped an came back an broke my nose an i fell 15 feet to the ground i dont go as high as most i only go 15-20 feet thats it but i need some thoughts on stands and cable climbers so please feel free to any of your open thoughts thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Default RE: i have a question on climbing stands

The rubber coating on the cables is the first thing to go. It has absolutely nothing to do w/ the integrity of the cables themselves, they are PEFECTLY safe, as long as the cable is broken....That rubber coating is there just to make it quieter.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use API, they have real beefy chains, have'nt had any problem with mine.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you should reconsider your ideas about using a harness. It's the number one safety precaution you can take while climbing, regardless of the type of stand, or high how you hunt.

As bowhunters, we often climb into or out of our stands in low light or even complete darkness. You're more likely to be injured from a slip than a stand malfunction or failure.

Get a good quality full-body harness and a good quality stand. Buy a Summit and you get both in the same box.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Don't be afraid of the cable climbers such as Summit, Loggy Bayou, etc. they work good. But you can't beat a Lone Wolf. I love those traction belts.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate the cables. Sorry, been there done that . Have belts now andthere better. Maybe you should just use a blind or lock on's. Get up in some multi branchedtrees with a lock on. Great cover, very comfortable,a lot to keep you feeling safe.Pick a tree and determine what kind of shots you will need to make. Practise those. It's a start. Once you build up the confidence you can move on to a climber and new area's. You'll learn a lot about the game your after and be better equipt to

PILE"M UP!

Good Hunting!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, I bought the Summit Viper earlier this year, and I love it; its quiet, comfortable, stable. the safety harness that comes with it is pretty good too.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 PM

i mean i have used alot of climbers i never had a problem besides 1 time with my steelback i didnt hook it up right an the bottom sliped i mean its hard for me to trust a cable im not a small dude nor a big dude im only 210lbs but the fact of a cable holding me in the treecreeps me out u know i seen alot of videos where people die or get hurt and most are cable climbers but the summit i heard is really good i use alot of ladder stands metal or wooden but when i see that coating come off its weird but thats my opion but please give me more stands to choose from ladder climber or rap around
Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I assure you that you will be 100% safe in a Summit stand. I've used mine for 3 years now without one bit of trouble. As others have noted, the rubber coating is just to quiet the cables. This is why you can purchase replacement covering for the cables once it wears off. If I'm not mistaken, the cables on the Summit's are rated at somewhere around 10,000 lbs. No where near what we would ever put them through.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Do you expect me to believe this post??

Quick Reply: i have a question on climbing stands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.