Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all Outdoors Writers and Authors!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Calling all Outdoors Writers and Authors!!!

Two years ago I started the process and finished last year - my first book. It was a total labor of love and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was fun remembering those old stories, calling friends to gather forgotten facts and actually relive hunts that are very special to me. My book is,among other things, arecord of how I came to be who I am. I highly recommend it (writing your own book)to everyone - we all have a story to tell.

I was wondering, who else has written a book or been published in magazines? I've had a couple articles published, nothing spectacular, but it's flattering that someone else likes your stuff.

I'm looking around for stocking stuffers, too, so if you have a book and would be willing to sign it - all the better.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Calling all Outdoors Writers and Authors!!!

I submitted a couple pieces to various magazines last spring as a part of my senior culminating project.

A few encouraging letters from authors whose names I'll leave unmentioned, but nothing has been accepted for publication. I havent submitted anything since June.

Congratulations on finishing your book, I would love to read it!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had a few articles published. Nothing big. Congrats on your book.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:51 AM

Keep plugging Washington Hunter - good things come to those who wait, but only the persistent get published - LOL!

Guess I should have put the link up:

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~30043.aspx

Ralph and Vicki gave me a nice write-up on the back cover.

Farmcntry: That's an awesome youth outoors website and great idea!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Well, now that you ask, I have just published and released the first of a series of Outdoors Books with the Largest Publisher in the World - AuthorHouse. The title of the book is "Deer Hunting 101" and it is endorsed by David Hale (Knight & Hale Game Calls) and Jim Shockey (Jim Shockey's Outdoor Adventures). The book is currently being looked at by Bass Pro, Cabellas, and Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm hoping that one of them picks it up, and then allows me to continue on with my series with them. A portion of the book also appeared in the Chicago Tribune shortly after it was released. If you are interested, you can find the book at www.booksbydave.com, www.authorhouse.com, or www.amazon.com. Although it is written as part of the '101' series, there is still a lot of good information in the book for the experienced hunter as well. the '201' series wont be available until some time down the road, as I still have 6-8 more '101' series books to finish. Hope you like it if you get it. Hunt Hard - Hunt with Him! gen9:3
Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM

Folks I've hunted with Thumper2 and he knows his stuff (good drummer too, hence the handle).
Old 12-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My thesis in grad school was a collection of short stories and essays about the outdoors, and I used to be a columnist with a couple different papers. I've never attempted nor wanted to take the time yet to go on to the next level yet..

There's another HNI member here who wrote a great book I highly recommend; in fact, my endorsement of his book is on this website (complete with some mis-spelled words which aren't my fault...) at www.higginsoutdoors.com

Congratulations, Jeremiah!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Say, now that looks like a good book - thanks Greg.

I already have Thumper's book.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a book wriiten by a good friend of mine. Just tell him Hemry sent you and he will sign it.

http://www.trophy-whitetails.com/
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have had a couple of stories published over the years in differnt Bowhunting magizines, and am working on a Book right now on Hunting down large Brown Trout! The wife and I are bouth Fly Fishing guides here on the AuSable in northern Mich.