Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadhead or expandabels

Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM

Default broadhead or expandabels

which are better
and y
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broadhead or expandabels

I like both of them and it depends on what i am hunting to see what kind i am going to use
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 AM

This simply gets BEAT TO DEATH around here......If you are using mechanicals as a band aid to fix a poorly tuned bow.....forget it. You'll end up w/ nothing but heartache....

I like both, actually. I shot 2 deer and a coyote w/ Magnus Stingers this year and was plenty happy. I also carry in my quiver 2 Rocket Hammerheads, for turkeys. That being said, I've just sold all my Stingers and equipped all my arrows w/ Hammerheads.

Why, you ask? Ok, I'll tell you.....Simple. A 2" cutting diameter, period. My bow is perfectly tuned and shoots fixed blades very well, I just wanted a big cutting diameter.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know you are new to the forum, but this has indeed beenbeaten to death. Most of the bowhunters on this site use fixed. They have their reasons. I like mechanicals, preferably the 100 grain spitfire. It has never failed me. Some will respond while others won't because they are tired of this debate. Just experiment and use what is best for you.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uh, mechanicals are broadheads right?

Both have their place in the industry and neither is better than the other under all circumstances.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Both have their place in the industry and neither is better than the other under all circumstances.
That, right there, is the BEST nuetral and politically correct answer I've ever heard to that question...Rob, you don't mind if I use that, do ya?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was talking about expandables, sorry, and you are correct sir. The spitfire, though, has a place on the end of my arrow.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to preach about expandables, not no moe. I had two fail me this year and lost a nice 8 pointer, just didnt get the penetration I should have. I am switching to fixed and never looking back. I did some testing with 4 blade muzzy's and some expandables. The fixed were burying all the way to the fletching and some even completely passed through my target, the expandables were consistently leaving 10" or arrow outside the target.
All I did was screw the 4 blades on my arrow and they shot dead on with my points and my expandabes. I didnt have to tune one bit. That was amazing.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not going to be neutral and say that after 3 years of hunting with expandables and having questionable penetration I went back to Muzzy 3 blades and I'll shoot them from now on.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto Rob!!

With that being said, I'm seriously thinking of switching to the Wasp Boss Bullet for next year. I was a huge Rocket fan and truthfully, still am, but lately I'm leaning with a fixed, cut on impact head. The blade attachment on some of the mechanicals still seems the weak link in my eyes. I guess I just don't want to have my hands inside a deer, only to find one of those small fragile blades that snapped off. It's a mind thing.

Quick Reply: broadhead or expandabels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.