Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't sleep

Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I can't sleep

......... when I leave my Summit Viper in the woods overnight [:@]. I tossed and turned all night worrying about it being out there. There's a 99% chance it's going to be fine. It's on private property and during late archery/muzzleloader season with not many people roaming around anymore. But, there's the 1% chance that keeps me awake. I was planning on climbing back up the same tree this morning, but the winds were howling too much here (and into a bedding area) so I decided not to go. So there she sits. I may have to go on a recon mission. I think I'll be packing it in and out everytime from now on.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I can't sleep

I always leave mine in the woods overnight whether it is on public or private land for 16-17 yearswith no problems. I think the 99% is more like 99.9999999%. It is dark out for Pete's sake and someone would have to literally just walk right into it to know it is there. Unless you are hunting somewhere that is just crawling with hunters I wouldn't sweat it. Plus, it is a huge advantage to be able to just slip up your tree in the morning. Quieter and quicker. Of course, if it gets stolen you can't blame me
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I've broken mine down so many times, now....it's second nature. I do it in the dark....and I can do it quietly.

What used to be a pain in the axx is now 2 minutes of adjustments....followed by a good night's sleep!!....lol

I hear ya, though....I wouldn't hesitate to leave mine where I hunt. AND....I'd sleep less!!

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to get scared leaving my climber out. I ended up buying a bike lock and locking it together and to the tree. I now if they really want it, they would cut through the lock, but it atleast means they would have to 1) find it, 2) go home to get a cable cutter, and 3) come back to take it. It just adds a little extra security. It think it will be fine.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

I pulled mine before gun season, I'll glad I did. There were a lot of trespassers on my lease. I started hunting again last week and left my climber but installedl one of those new pylon (spelling?)cable locks. I sleep better now. I got lazy packing it in a mile everytime I hunted.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 AM

I usually carry mine out each morning and evening that I hunt. Its a pain in the asz butits worth it.I have left it overnight a few times. The only thing that worries me about leaving it overnight are the "coon" hunters they might stumble onto it.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know you could lock it to the tree with a chain and a lock, if somone wants to take the time and get it all off then they can keep it in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 AM

Man I hear ya, especially as often as we hear about stands being stolen around here......I leave mine up in one area I hunt, I'm the only one on it, but I sure don't anywhere else......
Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM

I used to feel the same way, if I hunted in the evening and was coming back in the morning I had no problem leaving my stand in the woods. Well this year in ML I left my stand Thurs night, when I got back Fri morning it was gone. Not sure how anyone found it, but my stand comes in and out with me every trip now.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also own a summit viper. I bought it because it was a light and easy to set up, and brake down, also very quite.
I had a API stand taken 2yrs ago.
I was hunting one afternoon and after good shooting light i decided that i would leave it on the tree that night seeing how i was going to be back in it the very next morning before light.
I came back the next moring expecting everything to be just as i left it but to my suprize it was gone? This was on my land! no one was allowed to be on this land but me!
How this person seen me without me seeing them i have no idea?
Now if i am going to be hunting out of my climber? I carry it in and when i am done hunting i take out.

Quick Reply: I can't sleep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.