Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BOW HUNTING

Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Default BOW HUNTING

i WANT TO GET INTO BOW HUNTING ON A SERIOUS LEVEL.I AM RIGHT HANDED BUT AM LEFT EYE DOMINANT SHOULD I BUY A LEFT HANDED BOW? I ALREADY HAVE A RIGHT HANDED BOW BUT I NEED HELP IN SHOOTING MORE ACCURATELY. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BOW HUNTING

A good shooting coach would have you shooting left handed but there are many accomplished archers shooting opposite.

PS, turn your capts off.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally believe you should shoot with your dominant eye.

My daughter is the same as you and is an awesome shot with a rifle and is starting to really shoot well with her bow left handed and she is only 12.

On the flip side,the best hunter and shooter that I know is shooting right handed and is left eye dominant.He has killed MANY book deer and some of them push 190".He has also won bow tournaments in the semipro devision at a national level.

I do believe he is the exception and not the rule.Go with the eye.[&:]
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM

How about strenght in the off hand? I appreciate your help. I will probably hire a pro to help me if the cost is not to high.Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everybody will probably tell you that if you haven't even started yet, shoot left handed to take advantage of your dominant eye...

Having said that, I'm right handed and extremely left-eye dominant. I just close my left eye. Done it my whole life in shooting rifles (qualified expert in basic training out to 300 meters), and on good days can't aim at the same spot for fear of busting nocks. On good days, I said...

I'd probably suggest learning to shoot left-handed as well, since it's so early in the game. Finding bows is gonna suck for you though...

Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 PM

Like mentioned above there are some fantastic archers out there who shoot right handed but are left eye dominent. So I think shoot what ever way is most comfortable. Some people can make the switch to left hand and get used to it, then there are some people who can't shoot left handed no matter what. But the fact is you have better depth perception and field of view with both eye's open plus it beleive it or not it takes concentration and fatigues the brain to keep one eye closed. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Thanks greg
Old 12-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg are you supposed to shoot a gun with both eyes open or what? Cause if you are I'm doing wrong, since I shoot with my left eye closed as well!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I shoot my bow right handed and I shoot a gun left handed. It is just how I learned how to shoot my bow. I am very comfortable shooting my bow right handed and feel like I can put a deer down that way. So far I haven't lost one, man I hope I haven't jinxed myself. I guess you just need to do what is comfortable for you.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know what you're "supposed" to do, but I can't shoot either gun or bow with both eyes open. I've tried and tried and tried and it does not work for me. [] Gun or bow, left eye closed for me.

Quick Reply: BOW HUNTING

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.