Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success after rifle season?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Success after rifle season?

Just wondering if anyone has had any success bow hunting after rifle season.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Default RE: Success after rifle season?

Welcome to the forums! I hope to hear much more from you.

Yes, I actually have better luck after deer season. I'm not really sure why that is, but I see more deer later in the year.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

i have had several shooters by my stand since gun season but im holding off for a 150 class 10 pointer i let walk during gun season, i let him walk so i could take him with a bow....might be a mistake if i dont see him again.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM

ive never actually went out after deer season. but being away at college makes me want to hunt more and more.. so i think im gonna take the switchback xt out after christmas and see if i can tag out on a buck
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 PM

I have seen plenty of deer since rifle season but no shooters. On a side note. I bought a new gun for myself for Christmas, and I went to sight it in today. I was hesitant to go out to our land where I hunt, but I have always heard that the sound of a gun doesn't really scare deer. So I thought why not. I went out and shot about 50 rounds and was cleaning everything up and as I turned around to put my gun in my truck, there were 2 does watching me from about 50 yards away. So I don't think the sound does scare the deer, I think it is hunting pressure. So if you hunt land that doesn't see a lot of pressure, the hunting shouldn't change too much. Except of course rifle season is usually around the rut here so I think it just seems like rifle season has affected the deer, whenactuallyit is probably due to the fact that the rut has ended.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM

would i be better off setting up in athick dry pond bed (LOTS of sign), along a bean field or timber between two bean fields and leading to the dry pond bed? Multiple stands?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've shot several doe in our second bow/flintlock season, never a buck.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken deer both during and following gun seasons - using my bow. Our general gun season ended last saturday and I was out Monday morning and had a young 10 point come in and bed 25 yards away from me. Since he made it past the shotgunners, I'm hoping he'll have similar success with the muzzleloaders which comes in for 2 weeks starting saturday.

Then, I'm hoping he'll make the same mistake in front of me next year!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I've taken 2 deer w/ the bow since rifle season opened. I'm VERY secluded in my spots, though (No rifle hunters around me, immediately).

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

If you define success as killing a deer, nope, not yet this year. Had 8 within range late yesterday, but they were all behind a thick stand of holly and I could not get a shot off. The group of 8 had a mix of does, doe fawns and two small bucks (spike and 4 pt). Timing is just about right for those does that did not get bred during the primary rut to be coming in again so I'm hoping to see more activity.
In years past, yes, I've taken deer after gun season is over.

Quick Reply: Success after rifle season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.