Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing stand dissaster this morning

Old 12-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default climbing stand dissaster this morning

Well guys i screwed up this morning but managed comming home in one piece. I have been trying out a stand that im going to buy off a guy i work with, its the summit goliath and i have used it 6 or 7 times and love it. I decided on taking my smoke pole instead of the bow this morning (forgive me[]) as i was hunting an area that you could see pretty far and was hoping on a roaming Big buck comming thru. I got settled in 25' up in a big tree and was sitting down. I decided i wanted the stand to face more to the right so i put my boots around the sides os the platform section and started moving it to the right when it let go and went straight to the ground leaving me sitting with feet dangling 25' up. Great![]On a good note i was wearing my hss pro series vest. stupid meforgot to tie the two sections together in between the two. i took the uncle Mikes sling swivel on my gun apart and hooked the sling around the front rail and re hooked the swivel so the gun would hang there. after sitting there wondering what to do and mad at myself for doing something so stupid ,i decided i had to get turned around somehow. So, i managed to get my right knee on the front bar and my left foot on it and stand up leaning back against the tree. I still needed to get turned around so i grabbed the strap that is attached to the tree and was able to get turned around with my feet on the sides of the top section. Thank God this stand is rock solid. My plan was to slide down the tree bear hugging the tree but i was not going to be able get past the section that im now standing on and it was going to mean unhooking the harness.[&o] As i was thinking of another way, it occured to me that i might be able to hook my feet under the upright tubes that house the cables and lift the stand up and back and get it to walk down the tree as the weight of the gun on the front rail would keep it from plunging to the ground.Holding on to the tree was a chore as it was a big gurthy one, so i got out the deer drag strap that comes with the vest and made a loop on both ends to hold around the tree and ran my hands thru the loops. I tried it and it worked but it took all the strengh i could muster as im also trying to hang on to the tree at the same time. This way i was able to come down with my harness still attached. I use a prussic knot to attach it to the tree and had to work that on the way down as well. Hitting the ground was like finding gold and i was tottaly engulfed with sweat and exhausted but felt lucky to have been able to get out of that situation. My other stand that i have used for years is an ol man and i have moved the bottom section many times and have never had that happen. But when i think about it the olman has extra straps that you hook around the tree that attach to the swivel tubes making it impossable for it to free fall. So, old habits can get you in trouble. I will NOT forget to tie the two sections ever again. After recouping on the ground i decided to climb back up and ended up seeing 7 doe's 3 in one group 2 in another group and 2 singles but no massive horn. Im putting the gun away and getting the bow back out because i think the gun was bad luck[8D] Please guys, hunt safe and hunt smart.
Dan

Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: climbing stand dissaster this morning

I've got a Viper and that almost happened to me once. Luckily my platform caught on a knot in the tree within reach. I'm thinking about getting another quickstrap to put around the platform like you do with the climber.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you alright man. I did that once myself, damn near paniced and jumped out of the tree. Congrats on the creative thinking.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad you're OK. I've got 2 Summits....the Viper and the Bullet. Both of mine have the rope that STAYS attached (platform to climbing portion) all the time.

I've never thought of ever unhooking that rope. Is there a reason why people do?

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Geez.[:-]

I not only tie the 2 sections together I keep them close enough that I can EASILY drop down to the platform if I do something stupid........which I almost did once.(and only once)
No sense in using every inch of that cord between the sections.....only tie it long enough that its not a hinderance with normal climbing motion.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear it turned out ok. I have an older API stand and I had that exact same thing happen to me a long time ago. Bottom section went all the way to the ground. Luckily for me, I was only about 12ft up, so I hung onto the top peice and jumped down.

One thing about that situation....I have NEVER forgotten to tie the stands together since then. I'm sure you won't either.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I've never thought of ever unhooking that rope. Is there a reason why people do?

Jeff
My bottom fell and the old rope snaped. Now I put a new fresh one on every year.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks for sharing....I just purchased a new climber last night. This is something I am definitely concerned about and will keep your incident in mind when I begin learning how to use this climber. It's a Loggy Bayou. The main thing I was looking for in a climber was a large platform.....this one is 36". I also ordered the Summit climbing rope. Already have a Hunters Safety vest, which is a little heavy and very warm on those fall days, but I feel safe with it on. Most climbers are not made with gals in mind so there may need to be some adjustments. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Diann
Old 12-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Motown.....That ther eis GREAT advice. I'm gonna go through my stands when the season's over. I KNOW I need a new strap for my broadhead lock-on....and I was thinkin about beefing up the ropes that you say you replace (the one from Summit ain't that big!).

Good advice, guys.......thanks.

jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

MOM, did you buy the Mega Transformer or Stalker? If the Stalker, just take your time lifting the seat up with your foot, while placing the other foot just in back of the seat first. Even though the back of the climbing aid will be below the cable of the platform, you don't want that back foot too close to the tree. That stand is solid as a rock after putting the quick strap around the seat and I am seriously thinking of buying one for next year.

A buddy of mine used a climber for the first time last year. While by himself one evening he stepped right against the tree and didn't have his tied together. Next thing you know he is calling his dad on the cell phone after the platform plunged to the ground. 2 hours later his dad comes with an extension ladder.[8D]

Quick Reply: climbing stand dissaster this morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.