Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing stand dissaster this morning

Old 12-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: climbing stand dissaster this morning

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I'm glad you're OK. I've got 2 Summits....the Viper and the Bullet. Both of mine have the rope that STAYS attached (platform to climbing portion) all the time.

Good question SB. this is the first summit i have owned and im the second owner of this one ,not sure how or if the rope was attached when stand is new. must have been the previous owners preference for ease of hanging them to the tree. But he did mention tieing it on to top section after putting on tree. I think im going to put on a nylonstrap like a dog leash permantly like the one on my ol man.
DanI've never thought of ever unhooking that rope. Is there a reason why people do?

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good reason not to use them. I personally don't like climbers. I have lock ons all over the place on my property. It's just me, but I get nervous in a climber and it kind of messes up the hunt. My lock ons are very securely attached.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad you are alright i bet you won't ever forget to have the two sections attached . luckily you knew enough to wear your harness .
Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM

You guys with other treestands then the LW, you should try a set of the stabilizer straps that are used on LW's. One on each side, adjust them out to climb, can't lose the platform then when height is reached, cinch them down and it locks the top and bottom together. Cost 10.00. I made them so they would fit almost any climber.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM

Glad to hear you made it to ground safely. I hunt out of a ladder stand and just the other day while sitting in it the support brace near the botton dedided to come loose and then my ratchet strap holding my seat and stand up tight to the tree decided to loosen as well. So the ladder ended up bowing like crazy and my seat fell a good foot or so, I about craped my pants. So I got down slowly and tightened everything back up WAY better than before...whew...[&:]
Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM

That's a pretty helplesss feeling, your feet dangling in the air 25' up....Glad you came out of it ok.....Don't let it scare you away from the stand though.....

That's the one hazard w/ climbers......if you just don't tip them on their sides, they are very stable.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Thats the beauty of the stabilizer straps, the top can't move or tip. It totally locks the top and bottom together.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to hear you got out of that one.
I purchased an Equalizer Treestand last year and it has stabilizer straps for that very reason, the straps also keep the stand from shifting side to side once you are settled in.