Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody find any '06 sheds yet?

Old 12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anybody find any '06 sheds yet?

I'm in my annual post-hunting season depression right now. Feeling pretty down, wishing it was October again... Anyway..

The next great outdoors adventure on the horizon is shed season. Obviously, it's not the Coup de grâce that is bow season, but it's something to look forward to and a good way to kick off '07 and put a few more miles on the feet.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has found any '06 drops yet. I've seen some reports of bucks being taken that had already shed, but haven't found a fresh one yet. I did pick up a pencil-thin two-pointer the other day, but it was last year's drop.

Pictures encouraged.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody find any '06 sheds yet?

I to love shed hunting but it is a tad bit to early. our late bow and muzzleloader season is still in and im seeing alot of bucks (young ones[&o]) that are still carring. they wont be dropping for a while (late Feb early March) but some will still be hanging on to the bone in late March from past sightings in previous years.
Dan
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Yep, they already started dropping here as of last week. Any rack bucks that get shot now may not have racks when they get recovered, or they pull off when you go to drag the deer. I've even heard of "ejector rack syndrome" at this time of year where the antlers fly off when the bullet hits the deer.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree - too early, but every year there are a few early droppers - it's like seeing that first buck rub in August - just gets those juices flowing... I probably won't go out and hunt for sheds until around Valentine's day but I figured I'd beat the bushes and see if anyone's stumbled onto anything yet. I know there are a few laying around out there just waitingto be found.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:16 AM

Quicksilver~ I know how you feel Bud ... our deer season has been over for almost a month already and I killed a fat little 3by2 Whitty early in the rifle season. I still go out "hunting" them with my camera. Can't wait to start finding some of those sheds also !
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Earliest I ever stumbled upon a shed was right after X-mas, so I would imagine in the next couple of weeks some bucks start dropping. I won't even think about hitting the woods for sheds until late February. Then I plan on hitting it hard all of March and into April. I'm looking forward to a trip to Iowa to shed hunt with some friends.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much too early here.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The earliest one I ever found was either the second or third Monday in December - maybe 10 years ago. It was back when PA had a 3-day doe season. There was a huge snowstorm (increased stress?) - at least 16" of snow - and I was doehunting with Dad and he found a big four pointer laying next to a bed in the snow.