Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oh no!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Oh no!

I was at work at the shop tonight, and since we were slow I wanted to do some more work on my new Vectrix. I've been working on getting it set up and tuned, and just wasn't comfortable w/ the set up...So, I stripped the string down to bare and started from scratch. Long story short, I am very pleased w/ how the bow is shooting and how it feels. The peep is placed correctly, all that good stuff...

BUT, while cutting off the serving that I had my peep tied in with, I cut a strand on my string.....I am not too worried about the intergrity of the string with only 1 strand cut, but how do ya'll stop that strand from unraveling? I thought about a wrap or two of serving, how would you handle it?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Oh no!

Honestly mo, since I make my own strings, I'd make a new one. Now I haven't made my new for my Bowtech but heck the string is perfect. I used to think I make better strings then the factory but these are some good strings.

I'll make my back up string this winter.

Now, is the cut strand obvious? Pull out enough to work with, serve a couple wraps on the cam side, fold the strand over the serving and then serve over the folded strand, stick a little out, continue serving. Melt the end of the strand. I hope that make sense to you the way it's written.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

Get a new string! It'll screw with your head, I did the same thing.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

Get a new string! It'll screw with your head, I did the same thing.
Agreed!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had it happen in the past on a new string and I trimmed it back to the serving and shot it for a couple years.

As long as it is only ONE strand!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will say this,if you find yourself constantly thinking about it.REPLACE IT.

It's a'll about confidence.

What did you decide on those arrows?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM

im by know means a bow tech but i've shot a string with a bad strand for two years and i've had no trouble. but its all about being comfortable with what you're shooting.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

all 5 of the deer and 3 pigs I killed with my trykon didn't notice the "blemished" strand on my string
Old 12-13-2006, 10:16 PM

What did you decide on those arrows?
Gold Tip Ultralite Pro 22's.......If I don't like them, I'll get ACC 3-71, but I think I will like them fine.

OK, it is only one strand.....Rob, I understand what you are saying. I'll work on it this weekend. I didn't know you made strings too.....That's impressive.

When season is over, I am going to order a new string for it.....I was so mad at myself, I know better than that...Good lord, the bow isn't even a week old, and I cut the strand......I am very good with building arrows and such, but I am new tech and have a whole hell of a lot to learn.....Lesson #1 learned.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:27 AM

i can give you tip #2.

do not try enlarging your peep w/ a drill while its on the bow.

there are a few of us on here (me, davec, and a couple others i think)
that could explain in minute detail to you why this is a bad idea.

tip #3: do not remove your old string w/ a pocket knife. yes it happened (not me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.