Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Cull buck" thoughts

Old 12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default "Cull buck" thoughts

It seems from the other post that a lot of you also dislike this term. It bugs the heck out of me. I just cannot see considering a 130" 8 pt a cull buck like on some of these ranches. I also think that in MANY cases guys who are attempting to practice thier own TDM, in places where tight control is not possible, shoot "cull bucks" that are not anywhere near mature. Its alright to shoot a smaller buck, just don't fool yourself to feel good by saying its a "cull" buck.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Default RE: "Cull buck" thoughts

I consider the buck I shot this year a cull deer.

You may dislike the term, but he was bad for the gene pool.

He had two points on one side, four on the other.

The side with two points was not only taller but had more mass than the side with four points.

He was a cull deer. I was proud to shoot him, but that doesn't change the fact that he had weird genetics.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only deer/buck that I consider a cull animal would be a obvious mature whitetail with small or disformed antlers. A 1.5 year old is never a cull buck regardless of antler makeup.

i suppose it really depends on where one is hunting tho.....TV is not real world...LOL
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It kills me when I hear of cull bucks on some of the south Tx ranches that for me would be the deer of a lifetime. I guess if I had $10,000. to spend on a rack I would feel different about that. No... I don't think I would.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I consider a cull buck to be a deer with deformed antlers (like 4 on one side spike or fork on the other)on a 3 1/2 or older deer. You don't want that breeding. In area I hunt inWisconsin I can only take one Buck bow and one gun so I don't do much cull hunting.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of injured deer get pegged as bad for the gene pool IMO. I agree with Rob, you can't go whacking 1 1/2 year olds and say you are helping the gene pool out. It takes awhile to figure out what kind of head gear they are going to grow.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like the term cull and I don't think it is a very intelligent term to use when speaking to folks who don't hunt.It is a degrading term and makes it appear that we are in fact raising a herd instead of hunting them under fair chase conditions.
You will never hear me using that word.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m less concerned with the overall score and more with antler deformations etc. An example of a deer I would like to take is a whitetail that doesn’t grow eye guards…
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Nth Alabama, you see a lot of does and a few bucks here and there, they rearly get to be bigger than 8pt, most are basket racks and are roughly 2-3 years old, so mot much culling goes on round here. I just wish that there would be a lot more does taken to fix the ratio up.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate the term "Cull Buck!" To many people, including this ones on this website, a cull is a young buck that they are ashamed of because it is small. OR they think others will look down on them for shooting a smallbuck so they say it was a cull because it wasnt a p & Y or wasnt symmetrical. Be proud of whatever you shoot, DONT DEGRADE IT BY SAYING IT WAS A CULL BUCK.

The only people who should be culling bucks (those that are over 3 1/2) are those on game farms or strictly managed proeprties wher they can monitor the growth of each buck year after year. And Never shoot a young buck because you think it is a cull buck.

Quick Reply: "Cull buck" thoughts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.