Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Cull buck" thoughts

Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Cull buck" thoughts

I appreciate ALL the answers.

I've seen maybe 6 bucks that would go 2.5 or better. One of those is the 3.5 I took....I also took another 2.5.....and the bull of the woods is hopefully still out there (I failed to close the book on him when I had a chance at 12 yds...early in the season.....and had him in close ZERO yds another time....and didn't get a shot).

I saw LOTS of 1.5's that'll be 2.5's next year, though. I saw 6 in one sitting. I probably saw 15 1.5's.

I DO need to get on the doe wagon, though...and I will. If I'v been guilty of anything around here.....it's not taking enough does. I don't particularly care to kill another deer, this seson....but I'll go, Saturday.....and try for a doe....to help. One got ran over on my road, last night. Hate the meat's not going to someone......but she's not breeding, either.

Rob/PA.....I think "Cadillac's" dead.

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The term "Cull" buck is used too often, as an excuse for shooting a small buck. Sometimes (especially on ranches) the idea of a cull buck is great and used correctly, but a vast majority of the time it's just an excuse.

On the last season of Dream Team, Team Illinios arrowed a buck that they "Didn't want to breed" in their area; AKA a "Cull" buck. And like the Drury's said, the buck was still very young, and just need more than 1 1/2 years... That episode, was a great example of making an excuse to shoot a small buck. And I believe that that same poor decision/explanation, is one of the biggest reasons they didn't win the competition either.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was a Cull buck some may disagree but it was a decision that I made. This buck was 4 1/2 yrs. old looked almost identical last year except the right side had 4 pts. I passed this buck up last year thinking he may have injured his rack in velvet. I seen him twice this year and decided to take him don't get me wrong he's a trophy to me. I'm having him mounted. Right side scored 62 should of been a low 140 class deer.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I consider the buck I shot this year a cull deer.

You may dislike the term, but he was bad for the gene pool.

He had two points on one side, four on the other.

The side with two points was not only taller but had more mass than the side with four points.

He was a cull deer. I was proud to shoot him, but that doesn't change the fact that he had weird genetics.

I agree. Any deer that does not fit the typical genetic form as you stated could be due to a gene problem. It you be due to diet etc. but my guess is that there are other good examples of deer in the area so nutrients would not be the cause. Cull him out.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Spike

I feel the term or definition there of is going to differ in areas of the U.S. In S. New MExico if you see a six point it is the deer of a life time where other areas get 8 points like no bodies business. Every individual hunter/property owner has to come to thier own conclusions.

In New Mexico there is so much public land and poaching the DGF only thinks they try to manage the herd.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: AP deer hunter

to me "cull deer" is a mature deer with a messed up rack. take this deer my buddy shot. i don't see anything wrong with the term. but i definitely disagree with people calling a small buck they shot a cull deer cause theyre ashamed of them. NEVER be ashamed of your deer.

To me the term is not an indication of rack size. I agree
Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Davoh

to me a "cull deer" is anmature cowhorn spike(6-10 inches of curved antlers with no or only one branched tine).... but can also mean a large, sickly looking doe....

better term for the "lesser bucks" as Ive heard is "management deer"... because that is what they are.... Do I agree with the practice.... no... but the term is sufficiently accurate....
OK so we agree on the principle just not the term used