Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Input on some hunts you would like to see!!

Old 12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Input on some hunts you would like to see!!

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Public land hunts.

I couldn't care less about watching small game hunts.

Show the viewers WHY you place your stands/ground blinds where you do.

Don't just hunt, teach. That's what most shows lack. 25 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of hunt, and its over. Teach us something on every episode whether is calling technique, stand placement, or bow tuning, but teach us something.

African hunts are something I always love to watch. Maybe its just because the game seems so exotic living where I do, but I can't get enough of watching hunts taking place in africa.

Don't act. Don't script anything. Show the bloopers. I like to know that the people I'm watching are just that, people. Show the misses, show the emotion, but act as little as possible.

If you make it big, remember where you came from. You were just like us at one point, don't be a Jackie Bushman. [:'(]
I 100% agree. All of the above would be great, especially the public land hunts, it would be great to get it on film when some idiot drives up 20 feet from your ground blind and acts as if Im not suppose to be there. he was there to ride his 4 wheeler....during deer season give me a break. Not that it has happened to me recently and im still a bit bitter about it!

best of luck with your business...I know im jealous
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

My best advice is to be true to yourself and to be honest and real with everyone else......

No one likes a fake, just keep it real and you'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, sounds very nice, wish you well, but as for myself, I don't care to see any.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

My best advice is to be true to yourself and to be honest and real with everyone else......

I was watching a special, last night, on Bill Jordan. they were talking about how he got Realtree started and how the video/TV portion of the business was a sideline to sell more product. The show went full-circle and came around to the off-shoot shows that Bill has come up with. When they interviewed Michael Waddell...he said the thing that he is most proud of.....is being able to adhere to the quote above (paraphrased). Michael Waddell was/is a world-class turkey caller (first and foremost).....and his involvement with Bill Jordan came about as a by-product of that.

I've been lucky enough to have put myself in a situation that affords me the opportunity to pretty much hunt EXACTLY the way I want to. it sounds like you're in a similar situation. What I would syuggest NOT doing....is selling out....just to make it in the door (or on the screen). I respected one of the teams from last year's 'Dream Season' (I think it was KentuckY???) a lot. They said...."We'll take 'em with the bow....or we won't take em". If that's your passion.....be true to yourselves.

And another thought.....Jon Brunson's angle is about as transparent as it gets. And I think you know why. Do I think Tiffany Lakosky's helping field dress her kills? Maybe? Brunson's wife? Nope. Vicki? Yeah. You're heading down a road tht is widened because your wife is involved. I love the concept. It can also bite you in the axx if it doesn't come across as genuine (which I believe it is).

Hey....but what do I know.....I sold my Harleys!

I wish you ALL the luck in the world.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I was watching a special, last night, on Bill Jordan. they were talking about how he got Realtree started and how the video/TV portion of the business was a sideline to sell more product. The show went full-circle and came around to the off-shoot shows that Bill has come up with. When they interviewed Michael Waddell...he said the thing that he is most proud of.....is being able to adhere to the quote above (paraphrased). Michael Waddell was/is a world-class turkey caller (first and foremost).....and his involvement with Bill Jordan came about as a by-product of that.

I've been lucky enough to have put myself in a situation that affords me the opportunity to pretty much hunt EXACTLY the way I want to. it sounds like you're in a similar situation. What I would syuggest NOT doing....is selling out....just to make it in the door (or on the screen). I respected one of the teams from last year's 'Dream Season' (I think it was KentuckY???) a lot. They said...."We'll take 'em with the bow....or we won't take em". If that's your passion.....be true to yourselves.

And another thought.....Jon Brunson's angle is about as transparent as it gets. And I think you know why. Do I think Tiffany Lakosky's helping field dress her kills? Maybe? Brunson's wife? Nope. Vicki? Yeah. You're heading down a road tht is widened because your wife is involved. I love the concept. It can also bite you in the axx if it doesn't come across as genuine (which I believe it is).

Hey....but what do I know.....I sold my Harleys!

I wish you ALL the luck in the world.

Sincerely,

Jeff
This road IMO is only an option because of my wife, if I didn't have a pretty bowhunting wife, I wouldnot put the effort, time, or $into this venture.Jeff, you an I can be the greatest bowhunters in the world(and we may well be), but no one wants to see us. Guys like you and I are a dime a dozen in the film hunting industry. The hardest thing for me is that I have to put my bow away when Sarah is able to hunt as I need her on film hunting; I need herin front of the camerahunting 5 timesto my 1 IMO. Our advantage is that IA is on the map for their whitetails and people like midwesterners. Midwesterners also have no accent so everybody can understand us when we speak.You all can be sure it will be real, down to earth, fairchase, and honest.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wanna see you hunt with a Mathews[8D]
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of ideas:

Show some kind of map or representation of the area your hunting (a generic computer 3D model would be nice) Show where on the map you think they're bedding (and why, at that point you could show some video clips of the actual area to give a better idea), where they are traveling to and their travel route and where you'll be setting up stands. Also the prevaling winds. (Seems like all the setups other videos have are blazingly obvious. "The deer are bedding in that evergreen stand up the mountain and come down to this alfalfa field in the evening." Amazing deduction Sherlock. Show us why you pick your spot in a homogonous stand of oaks 500 acres wide.)

Don't be afraid to have a show without a kill. If you get close but don't have a shot or have a miss, that's ok, we can all relate.A non-killis only bad for avideo if all your video is is kill scenes. If you are personable, likeable, informative, instructive, engaging, and entertaining, not having a kill won't be a detraction. It may even build a reporte as the audience is waiting, anticipating if you will connect this episode. (predictability can be boring) If the viewer doesn't know if you will win this time they may be more curious to watch. Talk about why it didn't work. Be honest. Don't take the "wind shifted" cop-out if it's because you moved too much, or you were sky-lined, or you bumped your stand, or picked the wrong spot. Show the viewers how to learn from mistakes.

Be VERY careful of who and what you let sponsor you. Don't be a shill. It undermines your credibility. Don't say that your kill wouldn't have been possible without your xxxxx product. I would prefer you don't mention your product at all, unless it's absolutely natural to do so, and have a list of sponsors at the end. Be willing to loose sponsorship opportunities in order to stick to that formula. In the long run you'll feel better about yourself.

On DVD's in the bonus area have a closeup still shot of each deer with their score sheet super-imposed so those who are curious can look at the numbers, even of the small bucks. You can call it "By the Numbers". Give live weight so those meat only hunters can enjoy too.

Don't be afraid to shoot some does and be happy about it.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

He already does dont let him fool ya!

ORIGINAL: Germ

I wanna see you hunt with a Mathews[8D]
Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Talondale

A couple of ideas:

Show some kind of map or representation of the area your hunting (a generic computer 3D model would be nice) Show where on the map you think they're bedding (and why, at that point you could show some video clips of the actual area to give a better idea), where they are traveling to and their travel route and where you'll be setting up stands. Also the prevaling winds.

Don't be afraid to have a show without a kill. If you get close but don't have a shot or have a miss, that's ok, we can all relate.A non-killis only bad for avideo if all your video is is kill scenes. If you are personable, likeable, informative, instructive, engaging, and entertaining, not having a kill won't be a detraction. It may even build a reporte as the audience is waiting, anticipating if you will connect this episode. (predictability can be boring) If the viewer doesn't know if you will win this time they may be more curious to watch. Talk about why it didn't work. Be honest. Don't take the "wind shifted" cop-out if it's because you moved too much, or you were sky-lined, or you bumped your stand, or picked the wrong spot. Show the viewers how to learn from mistakes.

Be VERY careful of who and what you let sponsor you. Don't be a shill. It undermines your credibility. Don't say that your kill wouldn't have been possible without your xxxxx product. I would prefer you don't mention your product at all, unless it's absolutely natural to do so, and have a list of sponsors at the end. Be willing to loose sponsorship opportunities in order to stick to that formula. In the long run you'll feel better about yourself.

On DVD's in the bonus area have a closeup still shot of each deer with their score sheet super-imposed so those who are curious can look at the numbers, even of the small bucks. You can call it "By the Numbers". Give live weight so those meat only hunters can enjoy too.

Don't be afraid to shoot some does and be happy about it.
I like the way you think; you are right on with everything you said as far as my outlook on this subject. Great ideas!!! Thanks. Don
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey HCH....you're honest. I applaud that.

Good luck to all of you. I might could make it by just getting Lisa to sit beside me.......(in a bikini).....but we can't find a season she wouldn't freeze!

Jeff

LOL......

Quick Reply: Input on some hunts you would like to see!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.