Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting a river

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Bowhunting a river

I am planning to bowhunt several different areas around a river. The river is really not huge, but has a lot of thick growth around its flood basin and is lined with large patches of oak trees with open areas on the shore. I have driven deer to others on different parts of this river during gun season, but have yet to bow hunt it. I have found a couple very good looking spots that I am going to scout this early spring.
What do others have for suggestions in equipment or tactics for hunting such an area? I am likely to be the only person hunting for perhaps miles. Any feedback would be greatly appreciate.
For interest it is the river that runs through the Sherburne NWR in Minnesota.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Default RE: Bowhunting a river

is what i woud do is find were the deer cross the river and set up a stand on that trail
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, terbzz is right. If you are lucky, the shore is steep for a long stretch and then flattens out somewhere. That would be a perfect funnel for you to set up around.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

If the river is running, listen for splashing after you shoot something. I lost a doe this year in the Brazos. Shot her, she ran to the river, pilled up in the river and was washed down stream. Went to find her, found where she went into the river, but the river was running too fast, she was swept away. arrrrggggg.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have hunted river bottoms for 22 years. Best advice I can give you is use a boat. I have a 10ft john boat with an Eletric trolling motor on it. In the morning when the deer are feeding I sneak in behind them.

Do you have an topo map of the area you can post?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 AM

Germ, I do not have a topo map of it yet. I have been using a map from the Fsih and Game, as it is a National Wildlife Refuge, a Minnesota DNR map and flash earth. I have also been on ground by the river quite a few time as well.
Using a boat would not be practical as the river itself is slow moving and well within the overgrown river flood basin that is much like quick sand in a lot of areas.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why I use a Eletric trolling motor to get down the river. The issue with river bottoms is this is where I find deer like to bed. So walking to a spot is hard. Find away to get to your hunting spot with spooking the deer. With seeing how it is setup it is hard to say what to do.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM

i had that same problem hmm what i think you should do is buy a few trail cams an put them on random trees along the river faces a few towards the river an a few away to learn some patterns an find out whats the best path they use an when you get to learn alittle about them and their patterns buy some of that gel apple bomb an some salt licks an maybe some corn an find a tree stump an put in ontop an around the stump an set your self a ladder stand or hanging stand about 20-35 yards away from the stump an pick a day u have off or a day your free even a hour or so an watch the deer an how they react to the stand being their an if they do not mind it your set for bowhunting buddie thats what i did last week and i sat in the treestand today to see how they react an they either didnt know i was there or to worried about the feed i put out for them but thats what i think is best so you can take it or leave but please give it a try