Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been thinking

Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Been thinking

You want pass throughs, they make for a better recovery, two holes in the body......but i saw a picture on bowtech's site, and it had a girl shooting a 30 lb. equalizer and she got a pass through on a doe at 25 yards. Im pretty sure it was 25 anyways. anyways go check it out on www.bowtecharchery.com

Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like everyone has said, 2 holes better than 1.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Like everyone has said, 2 holes better than 1.
10-4
Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 PM

the only time that I thought the arrow did more damage the broadhead was one that I shot in 2003. I was hunting from about 25 feet and shot the buck at 28 yards. The arrow hit a little high coming in but ended up going through the middle of the shoulder blade on the other side. The arrow broke about 4 inches from the broadhead. The other 4 inches and the broadhead were stuck the bucks shoulder blade and as he ran, it destroyed everything inside. I found about inch size chunks of lung on the blood trail. Surprisingly, he made it about 150 yards because he saw a doe that he wanted. Other than that, 2 holes is better than one.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Additional damage only would most likely occur if you were shooting 2 blade broadheads, think about it, with more than 2 blades, any way the head is being pushed you are pushing against tissue with the flat of a blade. However, as everyone said, with one hole blood is generally very scarce. Also, the deer is feeling the arrow more if it is inside, so I think that it would run faster, ie further(I have noticed this on non pass thoughs, anyone else seen this too?)....so in the end you have less blood for a longer distance.... I will go for a pass through.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

You want a pass through. Easy on arrows and leaves two holes to bleed. Dont worry, you will not get all perfect broad side shots to get a pass through. You will get lots of quartering away and the arrow will hit the back shoulder and stay in the animal.

Like mentioned, lot of good pass throughs will not spoke the deer much. I have had many simply walk a few yards away and fall over, instead of halling butt fora hundred yards.

Shoot for the exit hole.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

A found arrow also could indicate a miss if clean of hair/blood etc...if you can't find your arrow, your missing a piece of the puzzle when necessary.
Great point...i also would rather have 2 holes, rather than 1