Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recommendations please

Old 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Recommendations please

My brother wants to start bowhunting. He's looking to purchase his first bow.He's 40 years old. Actually his wife called me looking for my advice (Christmas present). I have a couple ideas in mind, but wanted to get some more input. Not looking for a $1000 setup. Just a good solid starter bow that will last him2,3,4 years or so to see if he is going to stick with it. Then he can upgrade from there if he gets hooked like I'm sure he will. What would you recommend? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Recommendations please

I always recommend the Reflex line....the '07's should be arriving any day now, and you can probably find some '06s around yet. They are Hoyt bows, but minus a few bells and whistles...The most expensive one is .....$599 I think.....but they start around $300......For the money, they can't be beat, IMHO.....But the Diamond line is very good as well, I just have no experience w/ them.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check out theDarton Marauder , you can get a package set up with a whisker bisquet , a tru glow sight and four arrow quizer for about $530.00 heres a link to there web site ( www.dartonarchery.com ).
I got one at my local pro shop and I was really impressed with the way it shot , very quiet , very fast and no vibration with no stableizer on it.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Martin Bengel is the best bow in the low end market that I have seen ($450 or lower). It is smoother than an XT, has zero handshock, and is at least as quiet as any of the higher end short ATA parallel limb bows. The Pantera is just like it, but comes in a few inches longer (35" ata). MSRP on the bengal is $399 and it includes all the draw length modules from 25" to 30" I believe, so you know it will be able to fit anyone in that area without more $$$. Spend the $$$ and get the thermal elite grip on it though........it's worth it. These bows at least should be shot before buying something else. I plan to hunt with one this weekend for the first time.

I would shoot the bengal, pantera, any reflex, any diamond, Darton, or have him look at something used from the higher end lines.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Most of the top line manufacturers have a secondary line of mid range cost bows. There is already a thread somewhere about it, but for example
Hoyt has Reflex
Bowtech has diamond
Matthews I hear now has a line called Mission.
And of course there are others such as PSE, Browning, Martin, Bear. They all make good bows for a beginner, but there are really two things you want to look for IMO. Brace height is one. The larger the brace height the more forgiving the bow can be, expecially for a beginner learning proper form, those little mistakes in form don't affect the shot as much and get the shooter frustrated. But the second is harder if you are trying to make it a surprise for X-mas. I would not really recommend it. I think the person really needs to go to a couple different pro shops and shoot them themselves. Till they find one that just feels comfortable. The first two or three they may say, I really don't know what I am supposed to be looking for, but after shooting a couple different brands at least a couple dozzen times each. They will start to notice one is more comfortable, or easier to shoot than another. THen go back to the original three and try again. Then the shooter will be more comfortable and confident in their bow and hance make it more enjoyable. Good Luck
Old 12-12-2006, 06:05 PM

I would check out teh Diamonds
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 PM

I have to agree withmobowhuntr, there is some very nice bows in the reflex lineup.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM

I would recommend you give him yours, that would set you up to have to get a new one......LOL. Or you can sell it to his wife pretty cheap, if you have to have some money.... to go towards a NEW BOW....yeah....

God Bless

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cabelas has the Reflex Excusion package on sale for $309 down from $379...that was a great value. See: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1837746
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have my old Alpine Impact extreme. Complete setup. Ill ship it to ya for $250.

Quick Reply: Recommendations please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.