Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An honest year

Old 11-24-2002, 01:20 AM

Default An honest year

Just curious how many people haven't found their deer this year.

Deer #1 was a doe the first of the year. I hit her good but she was qurtering towards me more than I thought. I hit back and unfortunately didn't find her for 2 days. We did look for 6 hours that evening.
Deer #2 was another doe out of the same stand. She was about 2 yards from my stand. I hit her too high. I hit the backside of her backbone and the arrow exited midway down her side. It turned out to be a "flesh wound."
Deer #3 was a nice 8 point with 10 1/2" G2s. He was 5-7 yards from my tree and I clipped his heart and a total lung. He made it 80 yards or so.
Deer #4 was a doe, i thought. I shot him at 27 yards through both lungs. DEAD at 50 yards from me. Unfortunately, it was a button buck. One minute later I shot at a bobcat at about 18 yards. I clipped his belly and after a short blood trail I Knew that he had got the best of the war. Tough little targets those bobcats are.

This was definitely the worst year for percentage hunting so far. I can only hope that it turns around for the remainder of the year. I have some definite ground to make up.

Before I get negativity sent down on me, I want to let everyone know that I am a 14 year veteran at this sport. I am only writing this to show that I am human and am having a bad year. I know my bow, will challenge anyone at tic tac toe for 20 bucks a game, and would love to hear some stories similar to ease my pain.

Let's be honest here!!

I know I am not proud of what I just wrote but this a bowhunting board.

BOB

Old 11-24-2002, 08:44 AM

Default RE: An honest year

You're doing better than me. I took 2 shots this season. First shot was on a doe at 10 yards from a ground blind. I hit high and the arrow only penetrated deep enough to bury the broadhead. She ran off and I searched for 2 hours that night and for 6 hours the next day. We don't have a lot of timber for deer to hide in so I'm certain she survived. Second shot was on a young 8 point buck at 25 yards out of my treestand but an almost level shot because of the hill that goes up from my stand. I hit him in the hind quarter and he took off for the patch of timber also. I waited until the next morning and had 2 other people helping me track him. Nothing. About 10 days later, I saw him chasing does. He had pulled the arrow out and there was a flesh wound on his quarter. I found a new pro shop and took my bow to him. He said the bow was so old that the limbs where weak and that's why I was getting no penetration on my arrows. Needless to say I was upset. I stopped hunting with that bow all together and so my season is shot. I can only start getting ready for next season a little earlier than I would have. With a new bow. (I bought this one used)

KEEP IT LEGAL. KEEP IT SAFE. OR WE MAY NOT GET TO KEEP IT AT ALL.