Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My friend is a deer expert

Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My friend is a deer expert

This friend of mine comes by and shows me pictures of the buck he shot opening day of gun season, it was big 22 in. inside spread 11 pointer that green scored 178. He tells me the story. He over slept opening morning, gets up and decides to go hunting around 8 a.m., while driving across the farm he see's two does and this buck standing in a wood lot, he jumps out, rest his 30-06(he has never bow hunted) across the hood of his truck and kills this buck. Now he's telling me what I need to do if I want to take big buck's like he does. I just smile and listen as he enlightens me with his new found monster buck killing powers.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 AM

Default RE: My friend is a deer expert

I've got some friends that have had simiar experiences. Always brings a smile to face as well. Darn them. Beginners luck i suppose. Rifle prolly helps quite a bit to though.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the same thing when I see Stan Potts and these other guys on TV on farms that scout for them all year long.....hang their stands.....etc....

Iftheyput ME in that stand...that day.....would I be an expert?

These guys have people THROWING deer at them.....begging them to come and shoot deer that they have SAVED for for them......all so the hunters will mention their ranch/outfitter on TV. I'm not taking anything away from their ability to make a shot when the moment of truth arrives.....but let's call a spade a spade.

If I hear one more TV hunter talk about how hard they've hunted "this deer".....I think I'm gonna puke. Hell....you just got there, Tuesday....and today's THURSDAY! Get Sam to move you a stand over to that side of the cutover....and you can continue to hunt him hard, tomorrow.

Please.

I'm honest with myself. I know I have a lot of deer around. I know I'm lucky.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep him as a friend. You never know when you will need his expert advise. Plus it is always nice to touch base with a true expert from time to time.

My opinion is that a deer hunting expert cannot be judged by the size of the deer he has killed but by how often he is successful. Anyone can walk into the woods the first time out, get extremely lucky, and kill a monster. No skill involved and certainly no expertise.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Lol. I can relate. I live in outfitter haven. I love how the guys from Dallas and Houstoncome down with every bell and whistle cabalus has to sell. Get a outfitter to set them up in a heated 20 foot enclosed blind and shoot a nice buck.Then come into the local cafe and brag about how knowledgable they are about hunting. When 90% of the times these guys dont shot their gun all yearuntil a week before coming to the outfitters. Have the gun shop sight in their rifle. Buy all this camo to set in an enclosed condo blind.When theyshow up after the hunt all camoed out, reaking of after shave and wearing leather boots. I can only giggle. Not giggle at how they got their deer, that doesnt bother me, just the bragging on their hunting prowess.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

He'll fit right in around here. Tell him to sign up for a username.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

so he knows how
1.Breathe
2. Wake up ... late
3.Drive
4.Shoot a high powered rifle

Well no kidding hes an expert, I only DREAM I could do those things, you had better take all of his advice,lucky sonbuck...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe in most places resting the gun on the hood of a vehicle is illegal. Am I wrong on this?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Spike

This happend to me this year too. A friend of mine shot his first deer this year gun hunting. It was a 120-130 class buck. He has been hunting on and off for about 5 years.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isnt that considered poaching?

Quick Reply: My friend is a deer expert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.