Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The greatest QDM thread ever....

Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Default RE: The greatest QDM thread ever....

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Please explain to me why you think its bass ackwards.
Because imo natures way is to make the easiest kill and the mature buck would be the most difficult. Theoretically the inexperienced 1 1/2 year olds would even be easier than an adult doe. Probably not all doe but many would be older wiser and maybe even a little bigger and stronger.
But its not always that way in nature, as I stated earlierI have seen it with my own two eyes. Wolves are opportunistic, they will kill the sick and injured. But, that is not all they are killing. The average wolf eats around 17 deer per year. Of these 17 how many are sick or injured? I can't give an exact number, but not nearly as many as one would think.

Now as I stated in post #39, after the rut there are more sick, injured and run down mature bucks. In the natural world, the wolves being the opportunistic killers that they are, would be taking these bucks out of the herd. Therefore if we shoot the mature bucks we would be taking the place of the natural predator that no longer exists.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

....in some areas its just not possible to post as a QDM area. Why? Well in Wisconsin if you post your land as QDM, you have to let so many hunters (public) hunt that property per year.
This is absolutely false.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

....in some areas its just not possible to post as a QDM area. Why? Well in Wisconsin if you post your land as QDM, you have to let so many hunters (public) hunt that property per year.
This is absolutely false.
Opps, I saw that and was going to respond the same as GregH.

That is only the case if you put your land into the Forrest Crop program. And then there are also ways to keep it posted.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now as I stated in post #39, after the rut there are more sick, injured and run down mature bucks. In the natural world, the wolves being the opportunistic killers that they are, would be taking these bucks out of the herd.
The natural predators, wolves,are not selective hunters. They do not care if it is adoe, fawn,sick, weak, or a healthyand mature buck.
You're confusing me Dan. Are you arguing that they kill selectively or not selectively. You seem to be trying to have it both ways.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Now as I stated in post #39, after the rut there are more sick, injured and run down mature bucks. In the natural world, the wolves being the opportunistic killers that they are, would be taking these bucks out of the herd.
The natural predators, wolves,are not selective hunters. They do not care if it is adoe, fawn,sick, weak, or a healthyand mature buck.
You're confusing me Dan. Are you arguing that they kill selectively or not selectively. You seem to be trying to have it both ways.
Sylvan, like I said, sometimes things I think don't come out right when I type them.

Wolves are not selective killers, but they are opportunistic.

Hopefully you can understand whatI meant now. If not, let me know.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, like I said, sometimes things I think don't come out right when I type them.
Sometimes when I type it comes out the opposite of what I think! Sometimes I don't think before I type! Then sometimes I'm doing some pretty good thinking and some pretty good typeing and then somebody reads it wrong! It's amazing anybody ever communicates.

Take care Dan!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM

[blockquote]quote:

Sylvan, like I said, sometimes things I think don't come out right when I type them.[/blockquote]
Sometimes when I type it comes out the opposite of what I think! Sometimes I don't think before I type! Then sometimes I'm doing some pretty good thinking and some pretty good typeing and then somebody reads it wrong! It's amazing anybody ever communicates.
This is why I don't post as much as I would like. It's frustrating when someone takes me the wrong way. I guess I will never be a writer.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Someone stop me when I'm wrong...(well...at LEAST let me get started!!!)

I wanted to know why the does make the bucks chase. It seems like when they go into estrous (hot)....they're INTENTLY looking for a buck. That's when I did a little research and found that they ARE looking for a buck....but not just ANY buck. Does making bucks chase....is nature's way of natural selection. The doe is dragging her would-be suitors in tow so that the dominant buck in the area will see them and get the juvenile off her back and breed her. It's a show with a purpose.

I can see where....in a more in-tune buck/doe ratio....the immature 1-1/2 yr olds wouldn't EVER get to breed a doe. I've got MANY, MANY does where I live....and I STILL wonder how many aren't serviced by the bulls of my woods. It's hard to really know....but I know when the rut kicks in here.....these little bucks are scarce.....and I don't think it's because they're in a thicket. "I" think they know the big boys are on the prowl....and they don't want to risk an axx whoopin.

Hey....it's a hypothesis....isn't it...lol?

Whatta you guys think of my hypothesis?

Jeff