Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The greatest QDM thread ever....

Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The greatest QDM thread ever....

Germ, what makes you think an older doe has bad genes?
In an area that is over populatednreally bad, like a metro park I would start with the older deer. Try to start "over", I have no idea what genes any deer has. To "start" over in an area I would hammer the old doe's first. I would also let the best bucks walk and breed with the younger doe's to start a good health herd again

This pratice is only for areas that are in REALLY BAD SHAPE. Just a way to start over, without killing everything. Get quailty deer in your area again.

Talon I agree with you 100% no magic stamp. I just look at land in Ohio on Sunday. I would just shoot a doe for every buck I shot. The area looked really good!!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Very true, the issue is getting others around you to prescribe to the notion. I own a little over 500 acres of land and according to the brows we have, my land should support 71 deer. That is at a healthy level (going by our conservation programs1 deer per 7 acres for my land type). I have that covered easily. I have far less than 71 deer using my land. One problem is, my land is more linier acreage rather than square acreage, so all the deer that frequent my land depend on others. Ifothers do not prescribe to QDM, which they do not, its a worthlessendeavor.I'm a meat hunter and agree with your post, id like bigger bodied deer, but due to the lack of participation, its a moot point on my half.
[/align][/align]
[/align]I posted the pole on which deer to shoot thread to see if people made a distinction between QDM and QAM.
[/align]
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post. In our area of the UP, QDM would be a dream come true. REAL QDM, like you describe earlier. IT is so hard to do though when there are so many people that could care less. In an earlier post on a different thread, Italked about the "N.I.M.B.Y." (not in my back yard) philosophy. By this, I am referring to a great number of people that come up and take the first buck that walks by, but would never dream of taking that buck on their home area, especially with archery tackle. This is one of the practices that needs to die, IMO, to achieve a good herd management, and an overall better herd. The buck:doe ratio is so out of whack, it is not even funny. On a normal year, we will see approx. 15-20 does before seeing any bucks, let alone a shooter. This is a situation where true QDM would definitely help.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Great post. In our area of the UP, QDM would be a dream come true. REAL QDM, like you describe earlier. IT is so hard to do though when there are so many people that could care less. In an earlier post on a different thread, Italked about the "N.I.M.B.Y." (not in my back yard) philosophy. By this, I am referring to a great number of people that come up and take the first buck that walks by, but would never dream of taking that buck on their home area, especially with archery tackle. This is one of the practices that needs to die, IMO, to achieve a good herd management, and an overall better herd. The buck:doe ratio is so out of whack, it is not even funny. On a normal year, we will see approx. 15-20 does before seeing any bucks, let alone a shooter. This is a situation where true QDM would definitely help.
Mike what did you think of the DNR(MI) harvest report for UP?

For our state(MI) it was 70% bucks 30% does for firearm season.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The harvest numbers are a JOKE!!!! They have absolutely no idea how many deer are shot. Every year I write the same letter, about registration, and I get the same response. "Registration is just not practical at this time, and we get accurate numbers without it, at least as accurate as states that register." I would love to take that letter and shove it up their a**. For the first year in my 11 years of MI hunting, I got a harvest survey, but only because I bought my tags online. As far as doe harvest, I would not be surprised at all if there were as low as 10% doe harvest. Doe tags are limited, and also there is a macho problem as well. MI seems to be kind of becoming the model of how NOT to handle the deer herd, which is even more frustrating when we are bordered/near awesome states, like IL, IN, OH, MN, WI, and Canada! Pisses me off to no end!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM

My original point with this thread was to share my observations from a truely natural deer herd. This herd lives in about a 30sq mile area in a very isolated part of Canada.

I do understand that for most people and hunting areas QDM is a pipe dream. But I don't buy into the idea of, "my neighbors won't do it, so I won't either." Educate yourself on how you can better the herd and then educate them.

In Wisconsin, we had to do just that. I have cousins that would argue with me for hours. But I remained calm and gave them the facts. After a few years, they finally see the light and want a healthier herd.

If you believe QDM (remember, not QAM) is a good idea, then do something about it. Things don't change overnight.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,
Great post. Very informative.

Sylvan,
You would shoot does to get back to where the herd should be or would be if we hadn't had bad management practices in the past. Once it is back in balance, then your point is correct.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 AM

I do understand that for most people and hunting areas QDM is a pipe dream. But I don't buy into the idea of, "my neighbors won't do it, so I won't either." Educate yourself on how you can better the herd and then educate them.
It's not excactly that easy...old habits die hard.

One thing that a lot of hunters hate is somebody else telling them how they should be hunting.

I do think that if excecuted properly the whole QDM thing will net results, but not everybody is in a postion for the philiosophy to work. I will pass on alot of smaller bucks, but I don't expect them to grow up, I do it to save tags on something bigger.

And.. I still don't buy that 'healthier herd' mumbo jumbo. Guys just want a better chance at seeing big racked deer, why cant people call it what it is??
Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The idea behind shooting does older than 1 1/2 stems from the fact that you will shoot less buck fawns.

Germ, the fawns that you want to start over withwere born from the older does therefore they have the same genes.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

The harvest numbers are a JOKE!!!! They have absolutely no idea how many deer are shot. Every year I write the same letter, about registration, and I get the same response. "Registration is just not practical at this time, and we get accurate numbers without it, at least as accurate as states that register." I would love to take that letter and shove it up their a**. For the first year in my 11 years of MI hunting, I got a harvest survey, but only because I bought my tags online. As far as doe harvest, I would not be surprised at all if there were as low as 10% doe harvest. Doe tags are limited, and also there is a macho problem as well. MI seems to be kind of becoming the model of how NOT to handle the deer herd, which is even more frustrating when we are bordered/near awesome states, like IL, IN, OH, MN, WI, and Canada! Pisses me off to no end!!!!
Mike we feel the same, you can do the survey online now which is better.
Anterless Harvest not doe I messed up., we all know about the button buck factor.[8D]

_dan very good post by the way

Quick Reply: The greatest QDM thread ever....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.