Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montecs to 60 yards?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Montecs to 60 yards?

Im thinkin about changin broadheads from an expandable to the montec 100gr. The only thing i am concerned about is being able to group them out to 50 or 60 yards. That is one of the benefits of expandables. Do the montecs really fly like field points as stated?any input appreciated!!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Montecs to 60 yards?

I practice out to 50 yards with my Montecs with no problem...through a Whisker Biscuit no less, I can't see why you could not be accurate out at 60yd too.

If your bow it tuned then you will have no problem. If not then no broadhead will group good. Field points/mechanicals are far more forgiving because there is nothing in the form of resistance at the front of the arrow that can cause the arrow to fly/stay off course. There is only thevanes at the rear of the arrow to straighten out the flight of an out of tune arrow after a few feet. the arrow will naturally straighten itself (for the most part) and you will get a fairly accurate flight.

With the addition of a broadhead you are in a sense adding another set of fletchings to the front of the arrow.If the arrow comes off the bow pointing in the wrong direction it'smuch harder for thefletchings to straighten the course of the arrow because you now haveanother set of fletchings (so to speak) at the front keeping the arrow off track,most use the term "planing"to describe the effectthe broadhead has on an arrow.

Some broadheads are worse than others, by pure design they are more prone to planing. Montecs as well as many others on the market today are designed to minimize the planing effect but all still do to some extent.

The key is to get your bow tuned as best you can and arrows with the correct spine so you start out with as level and straight an arrow flight as you can achieve. It will never be perfect as there will always be some sort of flex and distortion of the arrow (archers paradox) but that isa story for another day. Just get it tuned and you will see good results out to 60yards and beyond.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

i shot montecs and they fly great.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

they have flown well for me in the past out that far.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 AM

I shot Montecs for 1 week. I couldn't get them to group at 10 yards.However, I now shoot the G5 Strikers and they fly great. I think that my problems were created by my arrow rest. I say give it a try.