Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A different perspective

Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A different perspective

Just a question, it might have been addressed, Ill go back and read this book and erase this post if it has been answered.

What about those forced to hunt public land? Can you fault them for taking what ever they can get? Every one on here knows that QDM on Public land would be a pipe dream at best. If you feel you could talk Joe Public into practicing QDM, you are living in Oz.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

i would have to agree with David.....sad, but all of it is true....you get the realtree boys or Primos or anyone else on tv hunting areas with lots of deer and practicing "QDM".... you or i see that and say heck why not....if i know that if i put in $50 into a slot machine i will hit the jackpot, why would i not put in the $50?? so, if i see others utilize a type of QDM and they get larger deer , why wouldn't i practice QDM......guess if you have the resources it does make sense......but it has ruined what hunting use to be like and the types of traditions that were held way back then..............wether or not this is a good thing or not???? i don't think anyone will know until maybe 30 years down the road and people can look back and say...yea or nay........................for the record Mr. Washington, you yourself said you were going to hold out for atleast a 3x3 this year to practice your QDM...so from Dave's prospective you do fall into the category of persons he was talking about in his post....
Just so you know where the Realtree boys/Primos hunt they do not practice QDM, they practice TDM(Trophey Deer managent). QDM has no such thing as a cull buck(I hate that word).

I read a lot of assumptions about QDM. What we see on TV is 99% TDM.

Just like the guys who try and shove "pass the little one" down your throat you hate. To many times folks are putting on the blinders and making assumptions on what QDM really is.

I believe there is a happy medium is this arguement. Extremes are never good, I do not think we should even look at TDM, I think there is a balance we can strike.

It will take 2 things, stop telling people what to shoot, other side to listen and understand what QDM is trying to do.

I really believe when someone says "Why didyou shoot him" they are the most arrogant, selfish hunters. I also believe ones "I shoot what I want" with out and concearn of what it is doing to the herd is just as bad.

I will "get mine", is just as bad as "let it go" guys. I challenge everyone to look at the big picture. Look at 120'' buck in Northen MI is a damn great buck, just as good as a 170'' buck in Ohio. Before you judge a deer make sure you know where and what the land has to offer.

I challenge folks who are QDM haters to check out states like OH, KY, KS, ILL, and IN and see what their DNR is doing. See what you can do to help your states deer herd.

Think about goverment, too far to the right is bad, and to far to the left is really bad(LOL). In the middle lies common sense, I hope we all start to see this.

In my state MI we are just hurting ourselves, I think there is an easy solution. I doubt we will ever work together for the good of our sport and the deer. We will stay the course of protecting our own,and in the end we will destroyour own.

We are so divieded on this topic we have stop listing to each other, please just keep an open mind, listen to all tha facts. For god sakes stop telling others how to hunt!!!

PS Atlas is not here, so do not let him know this is how I really feel. I enjoy argue with him[8D]
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Just a question, it might have been addressed, Ill go back and read this book and erase this post if it has been answered.

What about those forced to hunt public land? Can you fault them for taking what ever they can get? Every one on here knows that QDM on Public land would be a pipe dream at best.

QDM isn't impossible in Kansas on public landbecause the DNR for the most part is doing it right. You get one buck in Kansas period. What ever weapon you choose to get it with is up to you. If you don't fill that tag with the weapon you bought the tag for thats tough titty. You can get multiple doe tags. We grow our bucks here. Yes the food sources are here but its the management of the heard that is working.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

i would have to agree with David.....sad, but all of it is true....you get the realtree boys or Primos or anyone else on tv hunting areas with lots of deer and practicing "QDM".... you or i see that and say heck why not....if i know that if i put in $50 into a slot machine i will hit the jackpot, why would i not put in the $50?? so, if i see others utilize a type of QDM and they get larger deer , why wouldn't i practice QDM......guess if you have the resources it does make sense......but it has ruined what hunting use to be like and the types of traditions that were held way back then..............wether or not this is a good thing or not???? i don't think anyone will know until maybe 30 years down the road and people can look back and say...yea or nay........................for the record Mr. Washington, you yourself said you were going to hold out for atleast a 3x3 this year to practice your QDM...so from Dave's prospective you do fall into the category of persons he was talking about in his post....
Just so you know where the Realtree boys/Primos hunt they do not practice QDM, they practice TDM(Trophey Deer managent). QDM has no such thing as a cull buck(I hate that word).

I read a lot of assumptions about QDM. What we see on TV is 99% TDM.

Just like the guys who try and shove "pass the little one" down your throat you hate. To many times folks are putting on the blinders and making assumptions on what QDM really is.

I believe there is a happy medium is this arguement. Extremes are never good, I do not think we should even look at TDM, I think there is a balance we can strike.

It will take 2 things, stop telling people what to shoot, other side to listen and understand what QDM is trying to do.

I really believe when someone says "Why didyou shoot him" they are the most arrogant, selfish hunters. I also believe ones "I shoot what I want" with out and concearn of what it is doing to the herd is just as bad.

I will "get mine", is just as bad as "let it go" guys. I challenge everyone to look at the big picture. Look at 120'' buck in Northen MI is a damn great buck, just as good as a 170'' buck in Ohio. Before you judge a deer make sure you know where and what the land has to offer.

I challenge folks who are QDM haters to check out states like OH, KY, KS, ILL, and IN and see what their DNR is doing. See what you can do to help your states deer herd.

Think about goverment, too far to the right is bad, and to far to the left is really bad(LOL). In the middle lies common sense, I hope we all start to see this.

In my state MI we are just hurting ourselves, I think there is an easy solution. I doubt we will ever work together for the good of our sport and the deer. We will stay the course of protecting our own,and in the end we will destroyour own.

We are so divieded on this topic we have stop listing to each other, please just keep an open mind, listen to all tha facts. For god sakes stop telling others how to hunt!!!

PS Atlas is not here, so do not let him know this is how I really feel. I enjoy argue with him[8D]
Germ....Great post!

I have always said that QDM in it's original and basic form is a good thing. My problem, and what galls me is when I hear/read people telling me that they practice QDM when in fact all they are trying to do is grow bigger antlerd deer QAM as I like to call it. Unfortunately I feel most of the "QDM"associations out there today haveulterior motives.

I also agree that shooting anything, even though it's a hunters right to do so (as long as it's legal) may not be good for the herd if it is suffering already. Sometimes not shooting certian deer or only shooting certain deer is the only way to get the herds back healthy with a good buck to doe ratio again.

I also detest the words "cull buck"
Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

What about those forced to hunt public land? Can you fault them for taking what ever they can get? Every one on here knows that QDM on Public land would be a pipe dream at best.

QDM isn't impossible in Kansas on public landbecause the DNR for the most part is doing it right. You get one buck in Kansas period. What ever weapon you choose to get it with is up to you. If you don't fill that tag with the weapon you bought the tag for thats tough titty. You can get multiple doe tags. We grow our bucks here. Yes the food sources are here but its the management of the heard that is working.
For the most part, Texas is the same. We get 1 buck tag and 2 doe tag. some counties are 2 buck counties, not many. What I was illuding to was, how do you keep Joe Public from taking bambi with his buck tag instead of letting him walk. It might be the only buck he sees on public land. Just curious. Im fortunate to own my own land. No one will screw up any of my spots. I let walk, what I want to let walk and take what I want to take. A majority of hunters do not have my luxury. If they let bambi walk, tomorrow some one else might be in their spot, or have screwed up their spot. I dont go agianst QDM, its easy for a land owner to do, but when you are at the mercy of free land, its hard. I cant fault a guy for taking an imature buck on public land. Or else where if he chooses.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ, well stated.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say, take it even a step farther-go hunt there, and vise versa for the QDM lovers-try the south, Maryland, even parts of Colorado and Nebraska. Yes, an open mind is critical...first hand experience is priceless! It's amazing how you'll come home with your eyes/mind wide open. It'sa lot of fun too!

Hunt and let hunt.

Good post Germ
Old 12-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

germ....
i agree with you in one respect that the big boys do trophy hunt......but when i talked about the big boys taking those "larger, older deer" (not stated before, but i should have) this is qdm, in that you want good genetics in a "herd" on your property...therefore you will elect to take those older deer who cannot give good reproductive success and who's genes have had the chance for greater mutation.....during his prime (ie the days when he was younger and you passed on him because of his size) he was still mating with girls and was able to pass those good genes on to the next generation........so yes they do take "trophy" deer, but they are also selecting to remove (hopefully the older mature deer) out of the herd to allow there offspring to reproduce with greater success.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

There is a lot of truth to what David says, but like most everything in life, there are also other truths and facets. Deer were nearly wiped out by the early 1900's. Thanks to good ole Teddy R, a few people started figuring it out and began implementing conservation laws. The Pittman-Robertson Act wasn't until the late 1930's. Restoring the deer population didn't happen overnight and its success, along with duck conservation, are shining examples of restoring a severely depleted resource. No, its not rocket science and yes, its relatively easy to kill deer as was proven earlier this century. I'm sure with the depleted numbers and years of much effort implementing conservation practices, deer hunting WAS a whole lot different than it is today. IMO, that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the hunt. Getting out with friends or alone, enjoying the great outdoors, testing your abilities as you deem worthy. Can still do all of that and still have the enjoyment of maybe seeing more deer. Not a thing wrong with that. It is discouraging as it is getting harder to find land that you can hunt. I agree 100 (ok, where's that percent symbol? oh, yeah on the 5) %. Yes, the cost is getting out of hand. And while I agree with most of what David says about TV hunting shows, I probably wouldn't watch them if they had shows where they sit for hours, many days and don't see deer or very few and half the ones they see they don't have shots at, or decide for what ever reason to let them walk. And then when they do shoot one, its a decent size doe or maybe a real good show they shoot a decent 8 point, not B&C, just a regular ole buck. No, I see that show plenty. Live. In person.

Almost forgot, but when I was reading Davids post I kept seeing Dana Carvey doing his old man routine saying something like "Why, when we were kids we used to walk for days, without food or water, or even shoes, and we'd hunt for deer and we may never see one but we kept walking and looking 'cause that's the way it was and we LIKED it." (David, don't take this wrong. I respect you too much to ever insult you but I did laugh thinking this. You should, too.)