Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A different perspective

Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Default RE: A different perspective

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Isn't it funny how the message of QDM seems to always center around the size of the buck? It seems to me that all of the rhetoric from the QDM'ers are simply a disguise for QAM.

Actually, it doesn't. It centers around mature deer. A mature buck can be a giant, or it can be a 100" 8pt. It all depends on the area you hunt. Distinguishing a mature deer has nothing to do with antler size, it has to do with body size. But the QDM opponants seem to always say it revolves around antler size, only because that is ,supposedly, the easiest way to tell. Not true.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually,Ky's deer herd is a little too large right now and they are trying to get it thinned out and it is due to poor management in the past.Just ask the insurance companies.

The 1 buck limit and the amount of does thatcan be taken are cutting the numbers and the by product is bigger bucks.

The limit is 1 buck,no matter what.Unless you get a free tag on some management area.Not even sure they do that anymore.

Or 2 does with the regular state tag. Then it is possible to buy bonus tags for 2 more does in most of the state.

There are some counties that there is no limit on does.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on David I'm right there with you on this one.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Actually,Ky's deer herd is a little too large right now and they are trying to get it thinned out and it is due to poor management in the past.Just ask the insurance companies.

The 1 buck limit and the amount of does thatcan be taken are cutting the numbers and the by product is bigger bucks.

The limit is 1 buck,no matter what.Unless you get a free tag on some management area.Not even sure they do that anymore.

Or 2 does with the regular state tag. Then it is possible to buy bonus tags for 2 more does in most of the state.

There are some counties that there is no limit on does.
I will be down next year to help out
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on down but the deer get slaughtered on the farm I hunt.Better come before the rifles get fired up.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right on David I'm right there with you on this one.
Me too!

What gets me more than anythibg about the QDM way is the arrogant perspectives.

It is assumed that if someone has not killed a "Book" buck that they must not be a very mature hunter or they must not be a very good hunter.

I understand those who just want to kill a "book" buck for their own personal goals......that's fine. But for pete's sake please stop puking your rhetoric to everyone and trying to convince everyone that in order to be a expert, you must kill "Book" deer! It's simply not true.
For sure!

The Macho elitist seem to be trying to force from the hunting ranks the average hunter. They seem to be segregating themselves as a superior class and tend to put down the guy who does it just for the fun of it.
I couldn't agree more!

I can remember when you could ask a farmer for permission to hunt his land, and 9 out of 10 time he would say sure. Now finding land to hunt it like pulling teeth. Ask a farmer now and he will tell you, Im leasing the hunting rights, or an outfitter has already bought the rights.[:@]
For the record, there's nothing selfish about me at all. All those that want to come to Colorado to hunt, the door will always be open. Although, you'll need to be in the best physical condition of your life. The altitude has a way of humbling a person here. Be prepared to spill your guts a few times (we won't be hunting from tree stands and there will be some measurable tread missing from your boots when we're finished). I will not promise you a deer (big or small-we'll be hunting), but you'll have the time of your life! I'll even help pack your animal if you so desire. You will certainly have an experience to measure when you're ready to head home.

It's funny, I have a 5 year old son that suffered a stroke in uterus. Every morning I watch as he struggles to do something as simple as brush his teeth. In light of this, when I kill one of God's creatures, I do not feel skilled. I feel fortunate/blessed! I'm lucky to be standing, walking and capable of enjoying/sharing the great outdoors-it's that simple. Check those egos at the door!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

huckleberry - you are my new best friend!

Life is a blessing in and of itself and I am further thankful each and every time I'm blessed with the ability to hunt. I always thank God for the privilege of witnessing and sharing His gifts in nature. I am guilty of it from time to time but you are correct, there is no room for ego in God's world. (I am not a religious person by nature but in nature I can't help but stand in awe.)
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I am guilty of it from time to time but you are correct, there is no room for ego in God's world. (I am not a religious person by nature but in nature I can't help but stand in awe.)
I get accused of being overly-religious on this board (I've been accused). I agree EXACTLY with what you say, Hazcon. I'm a huge bluegrass music fan....have been all my life. Ron Block is a banjo/Guitar player with Alison Krauss. he also writes some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard. He wrote this little line I think about when I'm in the woods.

In all the things that cause me pain you give me eyes to see;
I do believe, but help my unbelief.
How can I have seen the things I have and have "unbelief"?

Jeff
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

David i really like reading your post. They seem to be hart felt and true to the point In a different perspective. Again david Very good post!
I also agree!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would have to agree with David.....sad, but all of it is true....you get the realtree boys or Primos or anyone else on tv hunting areas with lots of deer and practicing "QDM".... you or i see that and say heck why not....if i know that if i put in $50 into a slot machine i will hit the jackpot, why would i not put in the $50?? so, if i see others utilize a type of QDM and they get larger deer , why wouldn't i practice QDM......guess if you have the resources it does make sense......but it has ruined what hunting use to be like and the types of traditions that were held way back then..............wether or not this is a good thing or not???? i don't think anyone will know until maybe 30 years down the road and people can look back and say...yea or nay........................for the record Mr. Washington, you yourself said you were going to hold out for atleast a 3x3 this year to practice your QDM...so from Dave's prospective you do fall into the category of persons he was talking about in his post....

Quick Reply: A different perspective

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.