Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A different perspective

Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A different perspective

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

What is even more funny is KY has one best DNR branches and deer herdsin the country. You guys have a quality deer herd! I wonder how it got that way
Wouldn't know. I don't hunt in KY. I hunt in WV.

Please describe quality deer herd as you arerefrencing itabove?
WV, wow!!!

KY does a great job managing their state land, by clear cutting and planting food plots.

They do a great job of issuing the right amount of doe permits.
They have quota hunts for areas which is pretty cool.

Here in MI we have slaughter hunts, where we drive down the number way to low. Then let it get way to high and do the samething all over again.

KY has done a great Job, I would hunt there

Old 12-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also like their permit system

Two deer of any sex, in some areas only one doe. This promotes shooting either, here in MI a rifle hunter can only shoot bucks with his tags. We are setup and programedfor failure of our deer herd. Not anyone fault just the way it has always been done.

If I read it correctly 1 buck limit.

I think I may move[8D]

Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

WV, wow!!!
Care to elaborate?

Old 12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

WV, wow!!!
Care to elaborate?
Yes means you pay out of state tags, but my guess is you have land to hunt in WV.

Kind of like me if I lived in Ohio and hunted MI, folks would be suprised. 1. Paying out of state tags, 2. not nearly as good as hunting as Ohio.

OK...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

davidmil, Good post. I have read a few of the responses for and against. I have to agree with you what you say but like everything, things change. I hate to say it but when I was in college the one thing that drove me was getting a good job and being able to buy my own land. I have alot of time to hunt and I am able to dosome of the things that you dislike in your post. I am able to let deer walk by. Although I am more impressed with a big 200lbs 8point then I am a small bodied 200inch deer. I love to hunt and have great passion for it even though I don't hunt like like dad or my grandpa or even you. I don't think there are a great number of sportsmen that would hassle someone for shooting a small buck. At least I haven't seen that much of it. I would like to believe we(sportsmen) are a different kind of person.The feeling I got from your post was you feel people are spoiled. Sure there may be some that take things for granted but I believe it to be very few. I feel extremely lucky just to be able to hunt and just becauseI chose to or not to shoot a deer doesn't make my ungreatful. My dad hunted in the conditions you mention. My dad is as far from a QDM guy as you can get. He will shoot a small buck, a doe, a button buck but because he like to hunt. I am more then fine with that. He also admits that some of the efforts that I have done such as food plots have really made hunting fun again. He remembers the days where if you saw a buck it was a good season. Believe it or not I do give thanks for the way things are today even though I never hunted in the yesteryears. I don't think I am the only one out there. I am done making no sense now. Your veiw is respected though.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes means you pay out of state tags, but my guess is you have land to hunt in WV.
correct.

Kind of like me if I lived in Ohio and hunted MI, folks would be suprised. 1. Paying out of state tags, 2. not nearly as good as hunting as Ohio.

OK...
What are you basing #2 on? The size of the bucks? Isn't that what you are really getting at. KY on average has bigger bucks than WV. OH on average has bigger bucks than MI.

My hunting in WV was great this year BTW. I was fortunate and lucky enough to kill 2 bucks with my bow and 1 with my gun.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are you basing #2 on? The size of the bucks? Isn't that what you are really getting at. KY on average has bigger bucks than WV. OH on average has bigger bucks than MI
The size of deer on average are bigger. The area I am looking at is 2 does 1 buck limit. I like those regulations.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

No doubt, it's not rocket science. I can kill a deer in my woods, Washington Hunters woods, TFox's woods... anyones woods. The folks from the midwest are always so proud of their ability to kill big bucks. Duhhhhhhhh... they usually fail to mention genetics, food, and overall hunter anddeer population.Any doubt as to why Bill Jordan and all the TV guys head for Kansas. It's not their skill that's for sure. It's deer. There were big bucks in Kansas long before QDM came on the scene. We have people that talk about their skills and then talk of seeing 20 or 30 deer a day. I've been to those places. It's easy to pass on deer and easier still to kill one. Come with me to the heart of the Adirondacks after a 250 inch year of snow fall and talk QDM. Don't preach to me about QDM and your hard work. A deer in the Adirondacks will migrate 3 times as far as the size of the land you hunt just for food. And there's not a herd of him to cull. But when he shows up, you can bet that mountain huntercanwhack him, QDM or not. It's not rocket science here folks.
I have to say I do agree with you on the bolded statement. You dont see team realtree going to the adirondacks for thier shows. Why? Its not becasue there isnt big bucks, because there is, but its because there is very few of them and they actually ahave to work to see a deer let alone shoot one. At the deer camp I belong toin the Catskills, during gun season we are happy to get 2 deer a season(for the entire camp) and these arent monster bucks, they are spikes and forks, but the guys that get these bucks are proud as anyone else. My dad and I practice QDM where we live, but just because we are able to. We have a large amount of deer, and decent genetics. And I'll admit I like to take a wall hanger, but I will shoot anything to fill the freezer if need be.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

When my grandpa used to come back here during his days in the navy they would stay at my great grandparents farm.There was plenty of shooting to be had, ducks, geese, pheasants, rabbitts, squirrels.There was only one doe in the surrounding area though and my great grandpa forbid him to shoot it, there werent any deer around.

He retired from the navy and moved back here for good there were deer but not a lot.There were only buck tags given out for any season and most werent ever filled.

By the time dad started shotgun hunting deer there were still only buck tags but the second shotgun season had started giving out a few either sex tags to a few lucky hunters, more people were filling thier buck tags then ever and doing it every season.

When I started deer hunting there were either sex tags for everyone during the shotgun seasons, you could buy bowtags to boot that were either sex.A lot of deer were being killed but many of the old timers refused to shoot does, it had been illegal for so long it was considered taboo.Still far more bucks than does were killed.

My son took his first deer three years ago at the age of 9.You could buy combinations of doe and either sex tags for different gun seasons, combine em with bow tags, shoot almost as any deer as you wanted to till the quota of tags ran out.He killed a button buck, me him and my dad all went back out and tracked it, recovered it, and took pictures.One of my favorite memories.This year he killed a small doe, hes young and learning fast, next year he wants a buck.

Things have changed so much in so short a time, theres so many options available today that I cant believe anyone can claim there way is the only way to hunt.I got my first bow buck a long time ago.Third day of season.The following two years were the same, tagged out in the first week of a three month season.The fourth year I held out for a bigger deer, it was three years later when I got him.Not a record buck but a nice 12 pointer with a 22 inch spread.Would I expect everyone to hold out 4 years for a buck, not a chance.I learned more sitting and watching the deer move in that 4 years then I have at any time since.I wanted more excitement, I stopped using stands and started spending 90% of my time bowhunting from the ground.Its like nothing Ive ever experienced before.Its not for everyone, I dont consider anyone sitting in a stand to be lazy.Times have changed, the rules have changed, the deer have adapted, hunt however the hell you want, you dont have anyone to impress but yourself.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The size of deer on average are bigger. The area I am looking at is 2 does 1 buck limit. I like those regulations.
I understand what you are saying and forgive me if I came off wrong. I re-read my post and it sounds a little arrogant in itself.

I am all for having the healthiest herd possible as I would hope most feel the same way. I have yet to connect the dots however of how only shooting mature bucks helps the herd.

Quick Reply: A different perspective

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.