Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A different perspective

Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A different perspective

David, get over it. Do you think we really needed another post on this?
There we go again.The title of the post is a different perspective. You tell me we don't need it. Yet, if you look on the front page there are probably3 or 4 QDM posts, questions etc at any given time. Usually post made by wannabes and newbies.I ask you, do we need to keep having those. I offered this post as a balance, a look back at where we came from, astatememt for theguy that hunts public land or only gets to hunt a couple days a year or month or whatever. The Macho elitist seem to be trying to force from the hunting ranks the average hunter. They seem to be segregating themselves as a superior class and tend to put down the guy who does it just for the fun of it. As long as this seems to happen I shall voice my opinion. I'm not trying to compare notes or thump chest. I'm totally happy with my hunting times. I don't need some QDM preaching wannabee telling me we don't need a balance. If I had the world record QDM door prize I'd feel the same.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 PM

I can relate. My dad used to tell me stories about when he was my age he would hunt litterally every weekend and wouldnt see a deer. He said before the season started he saw so much sign it was rediculous, but after hunting all season he saw one deer total. He said it was to the point that if you saw a deer you got pumped. Now deer live in subdivisions and are out of control in numbers. While we have a better deer population today i still think it is just as hard as it was then, because the task of everything going right and that deer getting close enough, and to succesfully kill one is still equally hard.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Dominant Buck

No doubt, it's not rocket science. I can kill a deer in my woods, Washington Hunters woods, TFox's woods... anyones woods. The folks from the midwest are always so proud of their ability to kill big bucks. Duhhhhhhhh... they usually fail to mention genetics, food, and overall hunter anddeer population.Any doubt as to why Bill Jordan and all the TV guys head for Kansas. It's not their skill that's for sure. It's deer. There were big bucks in Kansas long before QDM came on the scene. We have people that talk about their skills and then talk of seeing 20 or 30 deer a day. I've been to those places. It's easy to pass on deer and easier still to kill one. Come with me to the heart of the Adirondacks after a 250 inch year of snow fall and talk QDM. Don't preach to me about QDM and your hard work. A deer in the Adirondacks will migrate 3 times as far as the size of the land you hunt just for food. And there's not a herd of him to cull. But when he shows up, you can bet that mountain huntercanwhack him, QDM or not. It's not rocket science here folks.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt for mature bucks. That's what I enjoy to do and that's really all I care about. If someone else wants to kill any ole deer...great. I could care less. I used to be one of those guys20 years ago when you were lucky to even see a deer in the woods.There's a lot more deer now where I hunt, so to challenge myself, I hunt for mature bucks. In most cases, it does cost money to hunt these days. Why? Supply and demand. There are more hunters today than there were 20 years ago but the same amount of land. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I'm pretty sure people are having fun hunting. At least I am.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Then we really disagree. I've probably killed more deer than just about anyone I know with a bow. I've probably kiled deer that most wcould only hope to get.
Considering the company you're in....this is either mighty cocky.....you're old....or it's true. Even if it's a combination of all three.....I'll take you for your word.

I say we're now growing deer for "ME".. "Macho" more than we are to enjoy the hunt.
I'm not sure what your point is here, David. I don't particularly "enjoy" the killing part. I particularly wouldn't enjoy taking a young buck. If I'm going to take a buck....I'd like to think I was taking one of the "more" mature deer in the HERD I hunt. I am VERY fortunate to hunt in an area that is deer-rich. If I just chose to kill deer.....ANY deer.....my hunting season would be days....not months (and I have 6 tags). I harvest what makes me happy. You do, too. I think most peopledo this. NOW.....when someone else starts telling me what and what not to take....then I have an issue with that. When they belittle MY harvest....I take offense to that, too. If this is what you speak of....I AGREE.

Hell, you're going out to kill the damn thing. For what reason? Exactly, you don't give a crap about the animal, it's all about hunting. If you really didn't want to degrade him you'd build him a house and plant a biologic field to live in until he was older than me. Standards haven't changed... hunting has. Hunters have. Don't begrudge the guy who doesn't agree with your let 'em grow so I can have big horns. I hunt to kill. I do it when I choose. OH, and Bully for you.. you've seen a 180 class deer. I tend to find that most of those turn up to be a lot less when the die. And where you live does make a difference in what you see.
David....seriously....why are you so angry? I let 'em go/grow. I have TREMENDOUS respect for the animals I pursue. I don't begrudge ANYONE for taking ANY animal, either. I DO hate to hear someone say they shoot everything......and then tur around and say there are no mature animals in their woods. Wonder why????......lol

Any doubt as to why Bill Jordan and all the TV guys head for Kansas. It's not their skill that's for sure. It's deer. There were big bucks in Kansas long before QDM came on the scene. We have people that talk about their skills and then talk of seeing 20 or 30 deer a day. I've been to those places. It's easy to pass on deer and easier still to kill one. Come with me to the heart of the Adirondacks after a 250 inch year of snow fall and talk QDM. Don't preach to me about QDM and your hard work. A deer in the Adirondacks will migrate 3 times as far as the size of the land you hunt just for food. And there's not a herd of him to cull. But when he shows up, you can bet that mountain huntercanwhack him, QDM or not. It's not rocket science here folks.
This just smells of "sour grapes". and youracute ability to be flat-out condescending. That's exactly what it sounds like.

I hunt for mature bucks. That's what I enjoy to do and that's really all I care about. If someone else wants to kill any ole deer...great. I could care less. I used to be one of those guys20 years ago when you were lucky to even see a deer in the woods.There's a lot more deer now where I hunt, so to challenge myself, I hunt for mature bucks. In most cases, it does cost money to hunt these days. Why? Supply and demand. There are more hunters today than there were 20 years ago but the same amount of land. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I'm pretty sure people are having fun hunting. At least I am.
And how can you argue with THIS way of thinking? It's wonderful. It's truthful.

We just ALL have to realize that we put different things into this passion....and we expect different things out of it. David....I agree with MANY of your points. You have to see that there's other ways to skin a deer, though. I didn't deer hunt when you were growing up. I might not have liked it. Don't diminish the fun I'm having at it, now. I never said I was Fred Bear. I say I'm having fun (and I know you didn't accuse me of anything.....just a figure of speech).

I told my wife (and people here on the board) that I didn't care anything about going where THE deer are.Someone posted a thread askig what 5 states everyone would love to hunt in. You know the ones that got the most hits.....they're the ones with the biggest deer. I stated then that I wanted to hunt NC. That's where I live....and I said I would find more satisfaction in taking the biggest deer in MY woods. I think I did that, Saturday. He's the biggest one I've seen, all year.

I'm NOT against you David. Like I said....you make some good points. People don't need to be fooling themselves. If you live in Iowa......let's just say the odds of you taking a deer bigger than mine are HIGH!....lol You know what??? GOOD FOR YOU!! I hope you get him!

Just be true to yourself. Be respectful of the animals. Do things ethically. Do things legally. Have fun.

Oh yeah....and don't shoot the dinks!....lol

Jeff
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

Grampa Mil,

Although I've only been hunting for 40 years, I've seen the changes too. I'm having more fun now, than I ever have. Wake up! Your stuck in the past. Things have changed but hunting is still fun. It is up to you to make your own fun regardless of what others do or say.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose your beloved Duke Bluedevils BB team still plays for the love of the game and not a multimillion dollar career in the NBA........

Things change Dave....... The love and respect is still there for everyone that I know..... That hasn't changed.

Nice post. Although I disagree with one part. There is a lot less land to hunt today than 20 years ago...... Urban sprawl as well asmany other factors have reduced the amount of huntable land for us.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it when good ol davidmil comes in and lays things out with his perspective. Agree or disagree, he's got a lot of merit to it.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

DavidMil, You and I may disagree about QDM, but I love your posts. I would love to buy you a beer. There is nothing better than an intelligent argument.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 AM

I agree with the fact that you brought up about Bill Jordan and those TV people. Every time you turn on the TV they say "Today we are going hunting for Whitetail in Kansas, or Ohio, or Illinois." I have never once seen a show where they were hunting around the area where I hunt. I wonder why? I would love to have them guys go out with me everytime I hunt just to see how great of hunters they actually are. The situations they are in make them great hunters, not their abilities. I could put them on my land and give them five years to do what they wish, and their chances of taking a mature buck are about as good as mine are right now, if they were given the same resources I have available to me. I am not complaining, because I love being in the woods, and I love seeing deer. Would I like to shoot a B&C buck? You better believe it. Would it make me the greatest hunter in the county? I doubt it.

I believe it is Germs signature that says something along the lines of "I am not a lucky hunter, I just put myself in situations to get lucky." That proves my point that not everyone has the same "situation" as others.

This was my second season to hunt and I shot a 2.5 year old 8 point with my bow. That was my first bow kill and you better believe I am very proud of it. However my step brother and I have decided to start some QDM of our own to see if we can increase the quality of the herd. I don't know if it will make a difference but we are going to try. Our land hasn't had but 2 bucks taken off of it in about 20 years and neither of us have seen a mature buck. So maybe we can change that by trying to keep some of the smaller ones around. But with road kills, poachers, and hunters from neighboring land it may be difficult.

Quick Reply: A different perspective

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.