Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes its a sport
66.36%
no its not
33.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

is hunting a sport?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Default RE: is hunting a sport?

I see the hammer comin....anybody got a key to unlock this thing??
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it's a sport or not.

However, I will say that I tendget annoyed when people are overly competitive about hunting. The obsession with "winning the competition" by having the biggest rack at the expense of things like ethics and fair chase bugs me (ie Jimmy Houston, high fences, etc.).

AndwhenWHA tried to make hunting into a competitive spectator sport like NASCAR I was really ticked off.

It bothers me when guys on TV shoot a nice buck and the first word out of their mouth is "What does he score?".
Sport implies competition. But I think we should remember that the competition is between the hunter and the animal. When we start competing with each other is when the less pleasant aspects of our sport and our personalities surface.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Nope, it's not a sport. It's a life style. A passion. Even the clutzy can enjoy it if they only have success once in a while. You don't have to win the super bowl of hunting or even get in the playoffs to be successful. You don't keep score. It's not a sport.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Everybody has made some great posts! All make great points!

I consider it a sport with the admiration of a hobby or passion!

Hunting takes work....skillful shooting, (in my case) lots of conditioning, strength, smarts (patterning, positioning, etc.).....but at the same time with all that work, sitting in the woods is a place to get away and enjoy the great outdoors passionately!

Oh, and another point, hunting shows are shown on Sportscenter!!!

I have had so many people tell me hunting isn't a sport and they don't even hunt, but those who don't think it's a sport and they do hunt, that's their hobby and something they love to do and that should be realized. So from one hunter to another, I think it is even though it might not be a sport for you, but a passion. Either way hunting is one of the greatest pastimes for all!

Good luck to all! Oh yea....and to me,bassfishing is a sport too!!!You'll see me on Sportscenter in the Classic someday! Remeber C.R. "Fishin'" Chipps!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Yes, your posts are always riveting.....[&:][8D]
Did you read that thread about "spicing it up" or what?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunting takes work....skillful shooting, (in my case) lots of conditioning, strength, smarts (patterning, positioning, etc.).....
NO IT DOESN'T! You can hunt and be a total clutz. You can just decide today I'm going hunting. I have a license. I'm not going to kill anyone. I want to take a walk and see if I can "KILL" something. I'm not going out to harvest a management buck or kill a Pope and Young Buck. All I need is the license and to meet the requirements of my state... and then I can go hunting. You don't have to make it your life's work. You want to hunt. Go do it. It's not hard at all. It's just like fishing. Novices do it every day. And guess what, novices have fun EVERYDAY when they're in the woods. That's hunting. Some are more successful than others. Some have better land than others. The guy with the worst piece of ground on earth can still have fun if you let him.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Site Bouncer

No it's no way near a sport. That question is a slap in the face for all who have played sports.I have played manysports when I was younger. I have been blessed to have played at the highest level (NFL)in sports and I can say with out a doubt that hunting is NOT A SPORT......past time? Yes........ Hobby? Yes.....Life style? Sure.........Sport? NO!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 PM

hunting is a hobby not a sport.. a sport requires an athlete.. a hunter inst an athlete..
Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Site Bouncer

I am shocked th see the results so far....70% feel hunting is a sport.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I can see how some would consider it a sport, I guess because the word "sport" encompasses a whole range of activities. My dictionary defines"sport" with a half page of different definitions and activities. So if you were to look at it that way then yes hunting by definition is a sport.

That being said, it's hard for me to include it in the same category as any of the physically demanding sports ie: football, baseball, basketball, boxing, lifting, tennis, soccer, volleyball,rugby, hockey, wrestling, track & field, etc...

I guess there is room in the term "sport" for all of these activities including hunting, fishing, golf, billiards, curling, bowling, shooting, tiddlywinks............but I still think it's a crock to include them.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope, it's not a sport. It's a life style. A passion. Even the clutzy can enjoy it if they only have success once in a while. You don't have to win the super bowl of hunting or even get in the playoffs to be successful. You don't keep score. It's not a sport.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: is hunting a sport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.