Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short draw length/best penetrating BH

Old 12-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short draw length/best penetrating BH

Just curious if it makes a difference if you have low KE and draw length on what type of broadhead you use/would use?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Short draw length/best penetrating BH

Sharp fixed blade head. Don't shoot a mechanical with those kinda numbers. You are going to lose too much energy to get good penetration with mechs.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:10 PM

Yes, it does. As the riff raff above me mentioned, for low KE (regardless of DL) a good, sharp cut on contact head is what the doctor orders.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

mobow, what do you suggest? And if I might ask, who else here has a Cut on Contact recommendation?

Thanks, LT
Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM

It just so happens I have 6 Magnus Stingers for sale....$25 to your door, if you're interested....They've been shot, and a couple have even killed deer, but they have been resharpened and are in excellent condition....One is brand new.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sound like a used car salesman mobow. LOL Just call BR549. Straight outa Cornfield County.LOL No but seriously, how much tuning is involved with that type of head?

LT
Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't beat the Magnus Stingers for your setup. A good cut on contact style will get you the best penetration. Ask Nuge - He'll tell ya! As far as tuning, they are spin tested at the factory so they will spin true. They fly as good as any broadhead out there including slick tricks.

Oh yeah - I'd stick with the straight blades not the buzz cuts....

Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 PM

Very little, to be honest. If your bow is properly tuned, there is none......they are factory spun and balanced...you may want to screw them in and check for wobble, if there is any just spin the insert a little till it stops, but of all of them I've used I've never had to. Again, it's critical your bow is properly tuned, though....as it should be anyway.

Now, if we close this deal, I've got another one I'd like to run past you.....just call my office in the morning......LOL......

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a salesman...truly.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just pullin your chain mobow. I may just have to take you up on that deal. Can you put a razor edge on those blades? Or do they take alot of sharpening expertise?

LT
Old 12-11-2006, 06:30 PM

I use an AccuSharp sharpener, then run them down a ceramic steel.....Razor sharp indeed.

Quick Reply: Short draw length/best penetrating BH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.