Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do any bows shoot the same from 0 to 40?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do any bows shoot the same from 0 to 40?

and furthermore,why is it out of the question that a bow would retain close to 90% energy? they`re doing it now! the new bowtech retain almost 87% I think in a couple more years they will figure it out. lol we are not as intelagent as they are lets not pretend to be
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

YES they do travel up.Your bow is pointed up when shot, even at close yardage. Your sight is above your arrow and this may make it seem that you are shooting flat and straight at close distances but you are not.

If you don't believe it.Go and shoot at the target at 3 feet with your 20 yard pin and see where you hit.You will be way low but at 20 yards your dead on.This means it has to go up to hit dead on at 20 yards.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

YES they do travel up.Your bow is pointed up when shot, even at close yardage. Your sight is above your arrow and this may make it seem that you are shooting flat and straight at close distances but you are not.

If you don't believe it.Go and shoot at the target at 3 feet with your 20 yard pin and see where you hit.You will be way low but at 20 yards your dead on.This means it has to go up to hit dead on at 20 yards.
well ya?if your bow is pointed up,of course your arrow will travel up,but an arrow when shot does not travel up! Lets not mislead people here.A bow is not a gun (even if it`s a bowtech) a bullet will travel up,an arrow will not.Let me say that a differant way,ARROWS WHEN SHOT,DO NOT RISE. If your bow shoots flat at 5 yards to 35yards than your shooting a fast bow.This is possible even with a short draw if you have the right bow.Anyone who doubts this needs to call your local bowtech dealer.In fact my brother in law has a martin fury thats shoots a 409 grain arrow 320 fps,now if he shot a 350 grain arrow he would shoot 350 fps WITH A MARTIN! Go back to 35 40 yards and guess what? YOU`RE SHOOTIN FLAT.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

ORIGINAL: TFOX

well ya?if your bow is pointed up,of course your arrow will travel up,but an arrow when shot does not travel up! Lets not mislead people here.A bow is not a gun (even if it`s a bowtech) a bullet will travel up,an arrow will not.Let me say that a differant way,ARROWS WHEN SHOT,DO NOT RISE. If your bow shoots flat at 5 yards to 35yards than your shooting a fast bow.This is possible even with a short draw if you have the right bow.Anyone who doubts this needs to call your local bowtech dealer.In fact my brother in law has a martin fury thats shoots a 409 grain arrow 320 fps,now if he shot a 350 grain arrow he would shoot 350 fps WITH A MARTIN! Go back to 35 40 yards and guess what? YOU`RE SHOOTIN FLAT.
No, they dont travel flat...the travel in an arc. They don't nessecarily rise when shot but start their path from the bow at an angle relative to a straight line to the target. If not the arrow would fall well short as it starts dropping the second it leaves the string.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrows do travel up. Check out the sight tapes and yardage cards on any archery program such as archers advantage or pinwheel software. When shooting at 3-4 yard targets, I use my 40 yardsetting often. Two years ago my 3-D setup was shooting 302 fps and I changed my marks all the time out to 30 yards. Pinwheel software can be downloaded for a 10 dayfree trial. To verify all your questions, you can use the simulation page, and it will show you what your impact point vs. point of aim would be. I opted for a slower more fogiving speed since, because the difference in drop was so miniscule, that I figured I could get more points by a spot on bow than a speed burner.

TFOX and MO Bow know what they are talking about.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 350 fps arrow shot for 40 yards with a 20 yard pin will vertically drop 4-5 inches before assuming a perfect shot from the archer.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bullets don't travel up on their own,the gun is pointed up also.

It is exactly the same with both,gun or bow.Gravity starts working IMMEDIATELY when the arrow or bullet leaves the weapon.

Sight paralax makes you think it is flat but your pins are above the arrow.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JESUS loves archers

dude you are are so wrong I dont know where to begin,lets start with this...there are alot of bows RIGHT NOW that do more than 336 fps with a 300 grain arrow @ 60 pounds,I can think of several bowtech`s and martin`s.Anothewr thing,arrows dont travel up???? omg I gotta get some asprin
If you can show me some data either from the manufacturer or from a reliable testing lab I will stand corrected. Short of that as far as I'm concerned 336 fps 300 grain and 60# is not realistic. With regard to arrows not traveling up. If you had read my post more carefully you would understand that I said "up" relative to line of sight.

"Unless your arrow can defy gravity it's path will be in the shape of a parabola. Your line of sight is of course a stright line. A straight line will intersect a parabola at 2 locations. Like I explained before, one on the way "up" and the other on the way "down" relative to your line of sight (los). Everything off those 2 points will be above or below your los. The amount it's above or below may not be significant to you. What you call money is simply acceptable error."

It's the same for both arrows and bullets and it's pretty common knowledge. Dude, I don't think it's aspirin you've been taking!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

Arrows do travel up. Check out the sight tapes and yardage cards on any archery program such as archers advantage or pinwheel software. When shooting at 3-4 yard targets, I use my 40 yardsetting often. Two years ago my 3-D setup was shooting 302 fps and I changed my marks all the time out to 30 yards. Pinwheel software can be downloaded for a 10 dayfree trial. To verify all your questions, you can use the simulation page, and it will show you what your impact point vs. point of aim would be. I opted for a slower more fogiving speed since, because the difference in drop was so miniscule, that I figured I could get more points by a spot on bow than a speed burner.

TFOX and MO Bow know what they are talking about.
You my friend are spot on! So are TFOX and MO Bow.

Question: Does the pinwheel software consider the distance from your eye to your anchor point when calculating the path of the projectile? I guess I'm basically asking if it allows you to enter the distcance below line of sight the arrow leaves thebow. Some programs I've seen just assume a distance based on the assumption that the anchor point is the corner of the mouth and the distance from corner of mouth to eye is pretty much the same for all archers.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My simple answer, No!

Quick Reply: do any bows shoot the same from 0 to 40?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.