Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just 15min. too late

Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Just 15min. too late

Well I was out today hunting one of my favorite spots, I had seen lots of deer and a few nice but smaller bucks. I was/am holding out for another bigger buck as I have seen them in this area. This is the same spot I shot myother buck this year (nice 11-point). Well anyway, this afternoon I had seen lots of action and was hopefull of a nice shooter buck to show. Just at dark as I was about to climb down, (had just attached my rope to my bow to lower it) I hear some loud noise behind me.

I don't want to spook whatever it is so I sit tight. 15 feet away to my leftonthe upwind side a nice mature does walks by, she gets a little nervous but keeps slowly walking. She is trailed by another doe who only stops when the lead doe does. She (the second doe) is oblivious to me but the lead doe is jumpy so they are moving very slow.

I hear a third deer walking up and think it's another doe.......well it's not. This thing looked like a Christmas tree with four legs! I mean there were antlers everywhere! I couldn't believe my eyes. The light was gone but I could see enough to know this was a once in a lifetime buck. I lost count at 8 points on his right antler beam alone!!!This guy had kickers and stickers everywhere!The G2 hadtwo big kickers as did the G3, there was also what looked like a crab claw off of the tip. It was hard to tell because of the lack of light but he was impressive to say the least. It's one thing to see one of these suckers in photos or on TV but to have one walk by THAT close it was a rush! I didn't even bother to untie my bow I just sat there as still as I could in utter disbeliefpraying the lead doe wouldn't bust me.

Well she never did but she was nervous enough to make the buck stop dead in his tracks, turn slowly and walk away in the other direction. The does wandered off the same way they were going and I slipped out about 10min after they left.

If this had happened 15min earlier I would be posting pictures of nice non-typical, instead I'm left with "what could have been"[&o]

Sorry for the length....had to vent.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Default RE: Just 15min. too late

Well at least you know he's in the area now. You'll get a shot at him yet, I look forward to seeing pictures where you're holding his head up for him.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Site Buck Guru

That's what I'm talking about! All those big bucks that I see is like opening xmas presents. You never know what you'll find. That memory will last you forever. To me, seeing them is more important than killing them. However, if you kill him, you'll get to see him all the time on your wall!If possible, try to keep on him, as he may not be in the area for very long. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

That's what I'm talking about! All those big bucks that I see is like opening xmas presents. You never know what you'll find. That memory will last you forever. To me, seeing them is more important than killing them. However, if you kill him, you'll get to see him all the time on your wall!If possible, try to keep on him, as he may not be in the area for very long. Good luck.
Amen Greg,

And a reason I carry a video camera and keep it at the ready, even in low light you can get some footage regardless. I've got video of bucks I've never had shots at, at least I get a little piece of them. The camera can at times too get footage that you might not otherwise see visually.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Hope you get him
Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats what keeps you going back. I hope you get a chance at him.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

life is good when you know one like that is in the area. It kind of gives you a second wind after hunting hard all season. good luck!
Dan
Old 12-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Site Bouncer

I'll tell you what guys, I have been at this for some time now, I hunt in a state (Illinois) that has great trophy deer and I have seen and shot big deer.....but I have never seen a deer like this....and so close I thought I could reach out an touch it! I don't have the words to describe what I was thinking, I was just in pure awe of this magnificent animal below me. To see them in photos and on TV pales when they are right there in the flesh in front of you.

I couldn't begin to try and score him butwas every bit of 190-200in easy. The landI hunt is located in an area surrounded byforest preserves. Greg I'm sure you know what I'm talking about as you hunt here in Illinois too. Illinois has alot of forest preserve land and there is no hunting on it. Well my parents live right in the middle of one on many acres with a creek running through it. There is no pressure on these deer other than poachers (not many) or car kills, so there are many deer of all ages and I guess it was my time to spot one of the elder statesmen of the herd.

They hang out in the forest preservesin relative peace and tranquility. They make there way on to the property and some years I see many scrapes and rubs some years I don't but I still see deer every year as they always travel through to go from one preserve to another. This year I have found that there is a bedding area in the north west section of the property.

I always knew that the area had thepotential to be home totruly big deer, the setting is right and there was no reason why they wouldn't be there, it's just another thing to actually see one.

I know I'm going on and on about it, I can't help myself, I don't think I will ever see anything like him again....I'm ok with that.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I know how you feel. If it means anything, though........

When Rob/PA was down here....we saw a good buck in an area we were going to be hunting. It was the best buck I'd seen all year. I saw the buck Thanksgiving Day....and my arrow hit a limb on its' way to him. I was crushed. I saw him again.....the next day.....sauntering away real slow. I was 60 yds away....and there was nothing I could do.

I saw him Saturday morning.......and I brought him home with me.

That's a true story. I hope you see your guy, again. Good luck to you. I know from reading this EXACTLY how you'r efeeling. I hope you get to feel the way I do, right now.

Sincerely,

Jeff