Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time for a new bow!

Old 12-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Time for a new bow!

So it's time to change bows, and the parents actually said they would buy me one or give me money towards one for christmas (which is good because I'm a poor college senior now). So I really like the highlander and how it feels in my hand, so it has always been at the top of my list. I know I could spend $500+ on a Hoyt, Bowtech, matthews, Ross, etc, but from what I've read and seen, the Highlander is an outstanding bow for the price. Couple of questions...I've found a brand new Highlander never shot with the following setup:

Bodoodle Zapper 300 Camo arrow rest Brand new still in pack
Extreme 3Pin F/O Sight Camo Brand new still in pack
Peep w/Rubber Tubing-new
Paradox Braided Wrist Sling Camo new
Doinker 3" Chubby Hunter Stabilizer Camo new
Kwikee Kwiver 6shot Camo new

This is $325 shipped. I feel this is a pretty good deal, I'm just wondering how much the highlander price will drop once the 07 models are released after the ATA show. On that note, from what I hear the 07 line will be pretty sweet, and they actually aren't simply Hoyt "hand-me-downs" anymore, so would it be worth my while to wait? I don't see really the need, as the Highlander seems to have everything I want in a bow and it feels good (I can't attest to Ross because I can't find a local dealer...Rob, do you know of any around?). So basically I have my mind set on the highlander, unless any of you can convince me otherwise (just take money for christmas and save up for an Allegiance or the like).

Old 12-10-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Time for a new bow!

Save up for the Alligance. Thats your best bet
Old 12-10-2006, 08:12 PM

Hey man if it feels good on ya and its only $325 SHIPPED!! Hell man take it, if it feels good its worth it whether its a $300 setup or a $900 setup. Thats why I could never find myself setting up for over $500, it just seems like nonsense, I have so many choices in between ya know? But anyways, if it feels that good get it!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 PM

That's a heck of a deal!! Get off these forums and ORDER IT!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say go for it if it fits and feels good. I purchased a brand new mathews Q2 in 2005 even though they were discontinued but the shop still had some factory leftovers. it aint an outback or switchback but i absolutly love the fit, feel and performance of it and the price was right. go with what fits you good.
Dan
Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 PM

If your looking for a bow in that price range try this
http://www.archerytalk.com/archerytechevaluations/?page=19&eval=2006compoundhuntingbowfaceoff

Otherwise save the extra for the Alleigence. One very smooth bow!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend shooting one first, as well as a few others in your price range to compare
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I really do need to get out and shoot a couple...first impressions have me split between the Highlander and the Allegience (possibly the Diamond Victory). I don't expect my parents to fork over $500+ for a christmas present, so it will have to be their cash plus mine for an Allegiance or Victory. Maybe I'll get out Thursday after finals and try to get to shoot some.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM

I hate when people say "Well just save a little extra, and get such and such product." But the fact is that statement holds true the majority of the time. When I first bought a rifle I got acheap one, and put a cheap scope on it. So $250 for the rifle and $50 for the scope. I thought I needed a scope upgrade so I went to a $100 scope. Well then I upgraded again to a $150 scope. Well then I decided it was my rifle and not my scope. So I recently purchased a new rifle for $450, and I am going to buy a new scope today for $300. The point is I spent $550 in the first place that I never needed to. I should have just saved my money and spent the $750. That way I wouldn't need to upgrade.