Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost the farm....

Old 12-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lost the farm....

Going into this year I had 2 PRIME hunting lands. One that has been in our family for 50+ years and another that I had permission to be on.

Going into next year (at this time) I will have some crappy public land.

Middle of the year a guy on the other land started throwing a fit about me hunting saying there wasn't room for both of us (he hunts MAYBE 3-4 times a month), so me having another property and not wanting to drag the landowner into it I backed out and let him have full access.

Well now, after some family arguments, money problems, and tired of having to deal with the land, the big farm is up for sale. Around 350 acres of prime Illinois farmland.

When I heard I was so upset, but under the circumstances I understand. I'm not just upset about not having a place to hunt, but also the memories. I shot my first deer here, learned how to hunt on this land, spent countless hours exploring the ridges, and all of the guys in our deer camp.

Just never take for granted your land that you have. I thought I was set and now I will be knocking on doors offering some hard work.

Thats my rant for the day though
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Lost the farm....

Those kind of problems always suck. Sorry about the loss of your best hunting spots. I've lost more than a couple of my best spots to subdivisions.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 PM

That stinks
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered buying the land?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

That really bites, especially the family land up for sale. I've gained and lost good ground through the years, though lately losing. My favorite area (270 acres) of river bottom land was bought out by a timber company a few years ago and they still allowed me to hunt. This year they heavily posted it with signs saying hunting, fishing, etc. by written permission only. I've written them twice and not once have they answered my letters and there is nobody locally to contact.

Good luck in finding some new hunting land.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Have you considered buying the land?
For land in Ill and if it is Primetime we are talking 2500-3000 Acre
Over a million on the top half, and someone will pay it.

Right now we could sell our farm for over 4000 an Acre here in MI, why the little guy is getting pushed out.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should have never bet the farm.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $3500 an acre I can hardly afford to buy it. In reality we just need to buy out 2 of the owners ($400,000) and it would probably be safe, but no one has the money or ways to come up with it in the next few months.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for you. Lost a farm we hunted in West Virginia a few years ago. I hunted that farm for 15 years. I took about 60 or 70 deer off of that farm over the years and had another 75 or so deer taken by friends. We learned our last year there, that the farmer had a tractor roll over on him and he died. The farm was sold.

I loved that place. I can understand what you are feeling. It sucks!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Where's it at? I may be in the market.

Quick Reply: Lost the farm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.