Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost the farm....

Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Lost the farm....

You found 300 acres of ground in IL that nobody bowhunts?!?!

Consider yourself one of the luckiest men on earth.

I've been through situations similar to yours. Huntable acreage prices are getting rediculous, inherited land is being soldby relatives before the old farmers are even burried,and some guys will be downright ruthless to get exclusive permission. Eventually every 'common man' in this state will be packed in to what little public ground we have.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

My family has a large spread in SW Texas that started out as +/- 6000 acres in the early 1930's. Got split in 3 between brothers as it was passed down. My grandfather's share is the last in the family. I'm praying we can keep leasing the grazing rights so we can continue to keep it.

One of the thirds was sold to a east texas lumber mill owner, the other to a "private hunting ranch" developer and split into to 100 acre tracts. Doesn't make for very hospitible neighbors.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM

It might complicate the things a bit, but you could sell it subject to life time hunting rights for the family.